Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 25-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Jenny Louise
Egg

Question New tortoise owner unsure on diet

I have recently got a horsfields tortoise and i dont have any weeds as i live in the middle of a town in a flat. I have bben feeding him salad with carrots and some tomatoe but dont know if this is the right thing?
Jenny Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!

Could you buy some seeds from the SW shop and grow them at home?
alotoffluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Mrs Frog
Adult

Carrots and tomatoes shouldnt be fed to a hermann.Things like plantains,dandelion,chicory,clover,romaine lettuce,bindweed,variety is the key.I have bought seeds from the shelled warriors shop and growing allsorts,my hubby thinks i am going mad,the vet finds it funny too.Glad you have found this site as I am new to tortoise keeping too and everyone is so helpful
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
TortMad
Adult

The best diet for a tortoise is a natural weed based diet.

You can grow your own from seed or go on weed picking walks. You will be surprised just how many weeds grow in the middle of a town. The best places to look are waste grounds, river banks, canal towpaths and parks or green areas. You just have to keep a look out for the dreaded weed sprayers the council like to employ, but at this time of year you should be ok.

Horsfields should not be offered any fruit of any kind including tomato as it upsets the gut flora.

The best supermarket food to provide is dark leafy greens like Romaine lettuce, but avoid cabbage as it is high in oxalic acid which prohibits the tortoise absorbing calcium. You could also use bags of watercress (not salad cress) or bags of mixed lettuce like florette crispy. This sort of diet shouldn't really be relied on however as the weed diet is far more healthy and natural for the tortoise, so if you can mix in some weeds to start with that would be much better.

Have a good luck around this section for weed id pics that are edible for your tortoise, you will be surprised just how many are available in the middle of a town

2.1.0 testudo horsfeldii
0.2.0 testudo graeca ibera
2.0.0 geochelone pardalis babcocki

http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk/
TortMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Valerie
Hatched

I'm always worried dogs have weed on it though. Surely this is no good. If not enough weeds can be found can you give tortoise pellets on those days?
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
Jenny Louise
Egg

ok i will try and find some weeds but guess i need 2 be carefull about which 1's? so is florette crispy and watercress ok for him then? I also sprinkle some reptile supplement on his food,does that help?
Old 25-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
TortMad
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
I'm always worried dogs have weed on it though. Surely this is no good. If not enough weeds can be found can you give tortoise pellets on those days?
I personally would not feed pellets, some people do but I would rather not. As for dog wee, a good wash is all they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Louise View Post
ok i will try and find some weeds but guess i need 2 be carefull about which 1's? so is florette crispy and watercress ok for him then? I also sprinkle some reptile supplement on his food,does that help?
Yes they are ok, but variety is the key to any healthy diet whatever you choose to feed Suppliments the best are nutrobol sprinkled over food and limestone flour/ calcium carbonate either sprinkled over food or placed in a dish in a little bowl so the tort can help him self

2.1.0 testudo horsfeldii
0.2.0 testudo graeca ibera
2.0.0 geochelone pardalis babcocki

http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk/
TortMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
lozzy2k1
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to lozzy2k1 Send a message via Yahoo to lozzy2k1

i give mine kale too and lambs lettuce and some salads have endive, escarole and raddichio in they should like that too as well as watercress and rocket as i find it hard to find weeds i have some seeds but they cant be planted till spring dandilion and clover they seem to eat better with a variety so i try to get a mixed bag or a couple but they go all horrible after bout 2days so i dnt like buyin expensive 1s look on back of salad bags?

1 Leopard-Georgie 4 years old
1 Marginated- 5 years old
2 twin Turkish Spur-popeye/percy 3 years old
1 dog-cavalier king-charles-Alfie 2 years old
1 parrotlet-Kiwi- 2 year old
Tropical Fish
Gold fish
3 bunnies- Muffin, Gizmo, Buttons
1 guinea pig- Guiness
Pond fish
lozzy2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
hevngus
Egg

Hi, we're new to torts too and have a horsfield like you. I'm growing some weeds on my windowsill at the moment (got seeds from sw shop) but have managed to find quite a few dandelions when out & about. Untill my weeds grow I've been getting spring greens (already washed and chopped - cant find it un-prepared) in a bag from supermarket and butternut squash. I've also been adding parsley (she loved it for a day then turned her nose up at it) and rocket, all sprinkled with limestone flour and neutrobal. I've found that the dandelions and butternut squash are her favourites. I was told not to give her watercress but dont know why?
hevngus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #10
Jenny Louise
Egg

so butternut squash is a good thing, thats a new idea for me, also should you leave the food for them all day as i do coz some people seem to say they live it for 20mins and then take the leftovers away?