Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
there must be 100's of tort owners who've had them for years and never join forums etc, they'd never know of any changes and probably don't even know about paperwork. They like many others just wouldn't announce they have a tort nor even know if they were supposed to, if I still had mine I'd be like them and just keep mum, stop breeding even if it meant leaving the forums, I'd guess that if there are any changes it would be for those who sell them ie breeders and shops and to be honest if you're talking about the large turts that get to big for their owner then get dumped well that change can't come soon enough, they should never be sold anyway. If it meant limiting breeding of more common species well sorry but again I think there will be to many flooding the market making the price drop and meaning more breeders can't sell hatchlings before the next years are due. All the people who bought torts intending to breed will now soon have animals off breeding age and the amount of people wanting a first time tort will be less and less, I gave up a couple of years back and even then it was taking longer to find good homes than when I first sold a few years before that. I'd say only 10 years or so ago a tort was still considered a rare animal to keep or even to find to buy and certainly the amount of people on forums etc were a fraction of what they are now, who'd want to breed if their torts were only a few pounds and sold in every petshop.
For the 2nd time, this won't affect tortoises. It might, and probably will, however, affect some turtles. These are the ones which are over-bred, e.g. sliders, and then are released into the wild, therefore affecting the local ecosystem. The idea of the ban will be to prevent the affect on the ecosystem, so they certainly won't be released as above. As said, these animals will be 'disposed of' if the legislation goes ahead.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
fifi and the flowertorts
Hatchling

Is there any chance you could post a link to it please Ben?
2 cats
2 dogs
4 Kids
and a hubby
fifi and the flowertorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
wigwamman
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
there must be 100's of tort owners who've had them for years and never join forums etc, they'd never know of any changes and probably don't even know about paperwork. They like many others just wouldn't announce they have a tort nor even know if they were supposed to, if I still had mine I'd be like them and just keep mum, stop breeding even if it meant leaving the forums, I'd guess that if there are any changes it would be for those who sell them ie breeders and shops and to be honest if you're talking about the large turts that get to big for their owner then get dumped well that change can't come soon enough, they should never be sold anyway. If it meant limiting breeding of more common species well sorry but again I think there will be to many flooding the market making the price drop and meaning more breeders can't sell hatchlings before the next years are due. All the people who bought torts intending to breed will now soon have animals off breeding age and the amount of people wanting a first time tort will be less and less, I gave up a couple of years back and even then it was taking longer to find good homes than when I first sold a few years before that. I'd say only 10 years or so ago a tort was still considered a rare animal to keep or even to find to buy and certainly the amount of people on forums etc were a fraction of what they are now, who'd want to breed if their torts were only a few pounds and sold in every petshop.
i could not agree more,on the topic of breeding tortoises this is only my third year but will probably be my last!!
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #14
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLINTUS View Post
For the 2nd time, this won't affect tortoises. It might, and probably will, however, affect some turtles. These are the ones which are over-bred, e.g. sliders, and then are released into the wild, therefore affecting the local ecosystem. The idea of the ban will be to prevent the affect on the ecosystem, so they certainly won't be released as above. As said, these animals will be 'disposed of' if the legislation goes ahead.
Could you imagine the outcry if they were confiscating animals and 'disposing them'? I don't think law like this could go through; there would be a huge opposition. It is something else if a dog become aggressive and has to be disposed, but disposing thousands of healthy animals, I can't see it.
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #15
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanako View Post
Could you imagine the outcry if they were confiscating animals and 'disposing them'? I don't think law like this could go through; there would be a huge opposition. It is something else if a dog become aggressive and has to be disposed, but disposing thousands of healthy animals, I can't see it.
There is already huge opposition to it, but it is not widely known atm outside the forums, as someone already mentioned, so it would be hard to enforce. Chris Newman is leading the opposition to it in the UK it appears.
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
Old 28-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #16
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi and the flowertorts View Post
Is there any chance you could post a link to it please Ben?
Will ask permission.
Fish
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
Old 28-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #17
FLINTUS
Juvenile

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...egulation.html
Fish
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
Old 28-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #18
fifi and the flowertorts
Hatchling

Thanks for that Ben
2 cats
2 dogs
4 Kids
and a hubby
fifi and the flowertorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #19
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi and the flowertorts View Post
Thanks for that Ben
You're welcome. Frankly as many have said, I doubt they will be able to properly enforce the ban, but it will certainly affect a lot of keepers.
Fish
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
Old 29-10-2014, 01:07 AM   #20
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I think Ben it would be more for stopping the future import of said animals than anything else.

Danny