Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 20-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #1
Mogthefrog
Egg

Default Advice on lighting/heating

Hi I have just built a new 7ft x 3.5 ft indoor run for my 3 Hermann's, they will be coming in within the next few days. The room itself is 10ft x 8ft and drops to about 16 degrees at night.

The run has a 2ft sleeping area with the remaining area for daily use, please can I have some advice with lighting and heating.

Thanks
Mogthefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

lots of threads on here to interest you !too I think we all have very different set ups so probably a lot of different experiences and Arcadia have bought out lots of new products too. You didn't say how big your hermann's are or age which can make a difference to height of bulbs, tubes etc. I have set ups in areas without heat in the evening so mine are quite comfortable going down to 10/12 some times, even cooler in winter but making sure proper heating requirements during the day long term, shorter in summer. I love the Arcadia D3 bulbs. And ceramic heat emitters as a back up for night in case , or for poorly torts. Indoors if I have little ones in I keep temps at around 27 -29, rather than the hotter side, purely because I found over the years they are more active and because they go out all summer and I don't like to set them up to too much hot. As long as they are healthy, proper growth, eating pooping etc you cant go wrong with whatever set up. Tubes, combined UV or separate heat and UV. Your area size sounds brilliant though - be nice to see it when done , CB
Old 21-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Mogthefrog
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
lots of threads on here to interest you !too I think we all have very different set ups so probably a lot of different experiences and Arcadia have bought out lots of new products too. You didn't say how big your hermann's are or age which can make a difference to height of bulbs, tubes etc. I have set ups in areas without heat in the evening so mine are quite comfortable going down to 10/12 some times, even cooler in winter but making sure proper heating requirements during the day long term, shorter in summer. I love the Arcadia D3 bulbs. And ceramic heat emitters as a back up for night in case , or for poorly torts. Indoors if I have little ones in I keep temps at around 27 -29, rather than the hotter side, purely because I found over the years they are more active and because they go out all summer and I don't like to set them up to too much hot. As long as they are healthy, proper growth, eating pooping etc you cant go wrong with whatever set up. Tubes, combined UV or separate heat and UV. Your area size sounds brilliant though - be nice to see it when done , CB
Thanks Cherry,

My torts are 6 years old and have been outside in their new run since May, however with the good old British weather coming in I feel its time to look at moving them back indoors. They have never been hibernated, this would be my preference but my other half is not having any of it.

I will be using a coco coir / topsoil substrate and an Arcardia D3 bulb, I was looking at putting an Arcadia LED strip light in to give a bit of light first thing in the morning and on from dusk.

Any thought appreciated.

Thanks
Old 21-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

sounds the business ! Blooming weather you may have to get a wiggle on ! CB
Old 21-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there

I don't think you need any extra heat overnight as 16C should be plenty.

There are a number of ways of doing the job but what I do is to use Arcadia T5 desert+ tubes which cover most but not all of the enclsoure. That's for the UV. The tubes are available in lengths up to 48" and it's necessary to buy the tubes, the holders, reflectors and the correct controller. Obviously the lamps need to be held up at the right height and a gantry is a good idea.

For heat I suggest halogen lighting. I use Sylvania 100 watt lamps which have reflectors built into them so I don't buy shades. Ceramic holders are essential but these can be had cheaply and the holder can be suspended by simple and cheap chains. It should be possible to vary the height of your lamps above the substrate - I have a basic method where the chain goes over a hook and any link in the chain will go over the hook so I vary the height that way.

An alternative to varying the height is to use a dimming thermostat for the halogen lamps. This can work really well but means buying more stuff and having a probe in the enclsoure.

The arcadia tubes and the halogens will provide enough heat and light but in my opinion it's good to have additional light. I use the acadia jungle dawn LED lamps for extra light.

Some keepers prefer the combined uvb and heat lamps. Less wires are needed but in my personl opinion it's always a big compromise using combined lamps.
Old 21-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

OK I see you have already decided on an arcadia D3 combined lamp! Well you just need to hang it and could use the zoomed large lampstand. Your lamp needs to be at the right height to generate the heat needed underneath it.

Compared to outside conditions - even gloomy UK ones- indoor enclsoures nearly always lack adequate light levels. I haven't tried the arcadia LED strip but if it's similar to the jungle dawn LED lamps then that woudl be good. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arcadia-Jung.../dp/B00L88ANP0
Old 21-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
OK I see you have already decided on an arcadia D3 combined lamp! Well you just need to hang it and could use the zoomed large lampstand. ........

I haven't tried the arcadia LED strip but if it's similar to the jungle dawn LED lamps then that woudl be good. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arcadia-Jung.../dp/B00L88ANP0
Jonathan your posts about set up are always so informative, im ambushing the post sorry , thanks for the hyperlink too - with the jungle dawn do you set it up same as T5 ie home made wooden structure I think you said for the T5, which Im keen to try for the springtime, if get a chance. So for instance all I do is two pieces of wood screwed into tort table sticking upwards but cant see how I would connect it to the wood - with a bracket and screw I buy ? CB
Old 21-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi CB

the jungle dawn can be left to dangle a bit like a halogen lamp or it can be fixed on the side of the enclosure.

The T5 I use is the long one and I fix it to a strip of plywood which sits across the top of the enclosure. My indoors enclsoures are a bit like huge wooden boxes with no lids on them. The tube and the holder are really light in weight so they can be attached to the underside of a strip of plywood without it sagging.

IMO with a tube like the T5 you really need to have it overhead and firing downwards with a shade behind it. It's not a great idea for humans to be looking at the tube directly with the naked eye.

Hope this makes sense!

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 21-09-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #9
Mogthefrog
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Hi there

I don't think you need any extra heat overnight as 16C should be plenty.

There are a number of ways of doing the job but what I do is to use Arcadia T5 desert+ tubes which cover most but not all of the enclsoure. That's for the UV. The tubes are available in lengths up to 48" and it's necessary to buy the tubes, the holders, reflectors and the correct controller. Obviously the lamps need to be held up at the right height and a gantry is a good idea.

For heat I suggest halogen lighting. I use Sylvania 100 watt lamps which have reflectors built into them so I don't buy shades. Ceramic holders are essential but these can be had cheaply and the holder can be suspended by simple and cheap chains. It should be possible to vary the height of your lamps above the substrate - I have a basic method where the chain goes over a hook and any link in the chain will go over the hook so I vary the height that way.

An alternative to varying the height is to use a dimming thermostat for the halogen lamps. This can work really well but means buying more stuff and having a probe in the enclsoure.

The arcadia tubes and the halogens will provide enough heat and light but in my opinion it's good to have additional light. I use the acadia jungle dawn LED lamps for extra light.

Some keepers prefer the combined uvb and heat lamps. Less wires are needed but in my personl opinion it's always a big compromise using combined lamps.
Wow thanks Jonathan,

Loads of great info there, I only mentioned the Arcadia D3 as I know they are good bulbs, but I am always open to change and really just want to do the best for them.

If I go for the Arcadia desert tubes do I have to buy an Arcadia controller of will another make suffice ? Are they the d3+ t5 (12% uv)

How are the reflectors held up ? Sorry for so many questions I have not used strip lights before.

Any chance of a photo of your setup, I would then be able to show my better half.

How many Sylvania bulbs do you have in your setup ?

Thanks for your time and patience.

Last edited by Mogthefrog; 22-09-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 22-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

Hope i've not confused all this with my other post !!, sounds like a controller is the go with them (the strips) . I don't use a reflector (bar one) for my Arcadia D3 bulbs, (I think Jonathan did say they had the inbuilt reflector part anyway but an extra reflector has increased and focused the heat which is why I only use it for poorly torts) - I love the brightness of them during the day and sure they 'give it out' for humans too! not so achey bones these days ! CB