Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 11-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #71
Merlin M
Adult

True... guess what's why they lay more than 1 egg at a time and more then one clutch...
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #72
summerangel
Hatched

Bumping this thread. I've found all this information very interesting. I tried to grow my tortoises with a smooth shell. I've restricted what they eat so not to gain to quickly. The advice some are saying if to let them graze thought the day and also humidity for smooth growth.
Is there anyone here that has don't this and has pictures to show me. Or any other advice.
I really would like my hatchlings this year to grow much smoother than my old ones.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #73
Jan W
Sub Adult

I was a real novice to all this but followed the following seven years ago when they arrived aged 2:
1. Water available all times
2. MV lamp
3. Outside as much as possible when warm enough
4. Baths twice a week
5. Nutrobol
6. Cuttlefish

The two areas I did my own thing was take them out every day from their tort table for a walk round. Food available at all times! My husband gave them pellets (that I kept in an emergency) as he found they liked them! Beatrice was overweight.

Bertie arrived with a bumpy shell that has smoothed out in comparison and Beatrice has remained same shape as she has grown.

I wished I had found this forum earlier. Anyhow, they both happily live outside in the day and in their house at night.

Not sure if this really answers your question.

You may need to start a new thread as this one started 2013, so may be missed by the experts.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #74
summerangel
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
I was a real novice to all this but followed the following seven years ago when they arrived aged 2:
1. Water available all times
2. MV lamp
3. Outside as much as possible when warm enough
4. Baths twice a week
5. Nutrobol
6. Cuttlefish

The two areas I did my own thing was take them out every day from their tort table for a walk round. Food available at all times! My husband gave them pellets (that I kept in an emergency) as he found they liked them! Beatrice was overweight.

Bertie arrived with a bumpy shell that has smoothed out in comparison and Beatrice has remained same shape as she has grown.

I wished I had found this forum earlier. Anyhow, they both happily live outside in the day and in their house at night.

Not sure if this really answers your question.

You may need to start a new thread as this one started 2013, so may be missed by the experts.
Thank you.
I'll make a new thread later.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:56 PM   #75
CherryBrandy
Adult

This is a little difficult as its not all bad husbandry that make a lumpy shell, some torts can be kept same conditions and be slightly lumpier than others. Some of mine graze all day and they are as smooth shelled as my Horsfields who are fed and not self sufficient. but that's just because if I grow plants they eat they to the roots or bury under them...

Jan has it spot on with the other bits too. I am a great believer in misting them which creates a microclimate. I do this daily for the indoors ones even if they go out on warm days. others I will shower the under side of the roof so it drips on them ! CB