Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 20-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #111
Finfendy
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie Lou View Post
Awww how cute! Soaking them daily? X
Yep, they get a soak every morning.
Finfendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #112
Lynnie Lou
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfendy View Post
Yep, they get a soak every morning.

Do they like it? Mine love a soak as well. This is a great place for advice btw. Second to none for me.
Old 20-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #113
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie Lou View Post
I read that Pumpkin was a good wormer for Torts, so by that reckoning I thought the flowers would be as well. As for Dandelion, even though they don't have that in the wild where they originate from, maybe they've sussed those properties out here and therefore seem to love it. Never had a Tortoise yet that stuck its nose up at Dandelion leaves or flowers.
I did some online research on natural wormers at one time and there was a thread on here somewhere a few years ago that I put it in. I think that I remember something about pumpkins and it was mostly their seeds, the inside of the actual seeds that had the strongest worming effect but it might well spread into the plant. I kind of think nasturtiums were supposed natural wormers but who know if it may be the toxic plants that torts eat that are the real natural wormers. There's so much we just don't know and most likely never will.
As Jonathan says the plants in the wild in their natural range seem to work but they are different to here as is the soil and the climate and the water etc. Their natural range is increasingly being taken over by farmers and torts sit in the fields and chomp on their crops so in 50 or 100 years we might know if that has had any adverse health effects on them
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #114
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I found one of my old posts, it was actually the outer part of the pumpkin seed so it may well spread a little into the plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
From everything I've read, including the above linked articles the only thing that I know of so far that torts can eat safely and is a natural wormer is chicory. Torts will encounter chicory in the wild but how effective it is I don't know. The natural wormer is concentrated in the roots and is weaker but still present in the rest of the plant.

The outer coating of the shell of Pumpkin seeds is a natural wormer which paralyses the worms but can torts safely eat the seeds, ground up or whatever?

There appears to be nothing in there to say that pumpkin flesh is any use, only the seeds but I'd imagine that flesh close to the seeds could contain some of those properties but it's not certain.

Garlic apparently is the best of all, being able to elminate all types of worms but is it safe for torts? It would be good if it was.

Wormwood is also a natural wormer but is that tort-safe? I have a feeling it isn't

Nasturtium is something torts can eat and is listed as a natural wormer but it's unclear whether it is the plants or only the seeds that are effective.

I've found nothing to suggest that butternut squash has any worming properties at all. It is part of the pumpkin family (Cucurbitaceae) but then so is cucumber and melon.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #115
Lynnie Lou
Incubating

Very interesting stuff, Alan. Thank you for finding that thread. Pumpkin, Cucumber, Courgette, Butternut squash, are all from the same family aren't they which is why I grow the flowers from all of above and feed, they adore them. Whether they all have that worming thing in them is for us to think about and hope for. It will be interesting to see.
Old 28-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #116
CherryBrandy
Adult

Is Ed still thinking about it do we know? CB
Old 28-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #117
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
I found one of my old posts, it was actually the outer part of the pumpkin seed so it may well spread a little into the plant
I agree totally Alan, to many keepers read what they want to read, rather than the details.
These are all fruits and should not be fed to meds or horsfields. But the odd bit and I mean the odd bit once ore twice a season is not going to hurt.
I dont feed any fruit to my tortoises, but if they find a dropped blackberry or the like I am not going to panic:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 12:46 AM   #118
EJ
Adult

That is YOUR choice and not the tortoises. All tortoises find and consume fruit in the wild when it is in season... and I don't know any tortoise range that does not have fruit bearing plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
I agree totally Alan, to many keepers read what they want to read, rather than the details.
These are all fruits and should not be fed to meds or horsfields. But the odd bit and I mean the odd bit once ore twice a season is not going to hurt.
I dont feed any fruit to my tortoises, but if they find a dropped blackberry or the like I am not going to panic:0)
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #119
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
That is YOUR choice and not the tortoises. All tortoises find and consume fruit in the wild when it is in season... and I don't know any tortoise range that does not have fruit bearing plants.
But there not going to find a bowl of strawberries in the wild, and in the med, there's not many fruit bushes about, and the berries they do find are probably lower in sugar than many fruits we have in our fruit bowls at home, like strawberries .

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #120
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
I thought that was more or less what I said, they can only eat blackberries when the fall and are in season?
The natural way.
I dont feed fruit:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote