Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 10-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
H20
Incubating

Default What Could Be Causing This?

My friend has a 45 year old Hermann's and she has always been healthy but something happened this morning and I am posting this to try and find out if this is a serious problem or something to do with the hot weather.
The tortoise had had a slight nose bleed overnight.
The tortoise doesn't appear to be any the worse the wear for it and has eaten today, poo and peed normally.
Has anyone heard of this happening to a tortoise before and is it a serious concern or does this happen like in humans.
Thanks
H20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

Never heard of this sorry. Has the tortoise got access to hey or straw? I wonder if it has bumped into something that has poked its nose?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
H20
Incubating

No hay or straw and it definitely hasn't bumped in to anything....there is no damage to her nose, it was coming from the tortoises nostrils...not a great amount but enough to see on a piece of tissue when my friend wiped the tortoises nose.
It has not happened again since but I just wondered if maybe because it has been hot lately that maybe some small blood vessels had burst and caused a nose bleed.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:13 AM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Tortoises don't usually bleed out the nose unless there is something very wrong. They don't get nose bleeds like we do. A trip to a reptile vet is in order.

Danny
Old 11-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
H20
Incubating

Thanks...it happened again this morning but a much smaller amount of blood to what she found yesterday
Old 12-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
burnt toast
Adult

Any news yet?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
H20
Incubating

Apologies for not replying sooner but I have had no internet conection.
Update now is this...tortoise was taken to the vet and found to be in very fit health no signs of mouth breathing or anything untoward.
She is eating well and showing no signs of ill health whatsoever.
This is very puzzling but my friend has a theory and maybe someone could shed some light on this.
The tortoise is in the garden during the day and is kept inside her enclosure which is in the bathroom during the night.
A week before this happened my friend saw something run across the floor and squeeze under the side of the bath.
She thought it was a cockroach and put traps under the bath but caught nothing and then she finds the tortoise with blood all around her and what she thought was coming from her nose.
Now could a bug of some kind have got in to the tortoise enclosure and maybe tried to attack the tortoise and the tortoise has eaten whatever it was and thus made it look like the tortoise was bleeding?
If this could be the case, does anyone know what kind of bug it may have been?
This is the only theory we have as to how the tortoise came to have blood all around her and seemingly coming from her nose.
This is all very strange and maybe someone has some ideas.
Thanks

Last edited by H20; 17-06-2014 at 06:53 PM.