Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 20-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
heidi rawnsley
Egg

Default Lonely Tortoise ??

Hi there, I'm a new member. I have a Leopard tortoise, he is 10 Months old now, I've had him since he was 6 months old. He is my first tortoise. Although I have done lots of research on this breed, but there are lots of contradictory information out there, I really would like to know if it is okay for him to be brought up on his own, or do they normally live in colonies or pairs. I would hate that he was lonely, if anyone could give me some advise I would be very grateful.
Thanks
heidi rawnsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi rawnsley View Post
Hi there, I'm a new member. I have a Leopard tortoise, he is 10 Months old now, I've had him since he was 6 months old. He is my first tortoise. Although I have done lots of research on this breed, but there are lots of contradictory information out there, I really would like to know if it is okay for him to be brought up on his own, or do they normally live in colonies or pairs. I would hate that he was lonely, if anyone could give me some advise I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Most tortoises can easily live on their own, as they would in the wild.
Its keepers who think human rather than tortoise, think they need company. Adding any tortoise to an existing one, is always a risk. More so with leopards than other tortoise. As they can be more sensitive health wise.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Suze65
Adult

Agreed, he will be fine on his own

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

I agree with Sandy and Suze. Male tortoises particularly are well-suited to being alone. They often fight if housed with another male and could cause stress to a female if in a pair.
I have five males and they all have individual housing. Your leopard will be just fine.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Indianstar
Egg

Hi - I am also new to tortoises and the forum - I have an Indian Star (age 6) who was with another and happy - he now seems quiet and withdrawn and I have been told this breed can work well with a 'friend' as they rarely fight - does anyone have experience fo this breed?
Indianstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianstar View Post
Hi - I am also new to tortoises and the forum - I have an Indian Star (age 6) who was with another and happy - he now seems quiet and withdrawn and I have been told this breed can work well with a 'friend' as they rarely fight - does anyone have experience fo this breed?
How long have you had the star?
As most if not all tortoises can live quite happily on their own. Its humans that think they cant. Or someone who wants to sell more tortoises:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Hi and welcome to both new posters As has been said, in the wild torts would have a solitary existence, so should be fine on their own To add a friend means minimum 6 months quarantine and then everything crossed that both are female

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
Evie
Sub Adult

I think it depends on what facilities you have and how commited you are

I was happy with my male and he was fine on is own but I took the decision to rehome through a tortoise society and now have another 4 girls

Leopards are very gentle and laid back but it would be unfair to pair up with a female - in the summer months they are sex pests and although they are not rough it will stress the female

I will say though I have a big garden and a big outdoor enclosure but they still chose to bask/sleep together
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote