Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 15-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
cherylahutch
Adult

Default Bathing

Hiya
Just wondering about bathing tortoise I know alot of people on here seem to daily bath there tortoise and I have been giving Elvis a warm bath once a week, he had a water dish all the time which I give him fresh water daily and he happily climbs in and out of but to be honest he does not seem overly keen on his baths, Do Horsfields need to have a bath? I would not want to stress him out by doing it if he doesn't want one, to be honest he sometimes just sits and soaks a bit and seems happy enough but most of the time he just tries to climb back out again.
cherylahutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
pagan queen
Adult

I find that if my torts are warm they don't want a bath. If you do it first thing, before he warms up he might stay in longer.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
yuna1971
Adult

You should be aiming to give Elvis a bath either daily or at least every other day. Try doing this when he is cold/cool. Perhaps before he basks in the morning/or early evening. You will find he will just sit and probably drink. You won't stress him, he will settle down. But they seem to stay put and drink when they are cool/cold than when warmed up under the basking light. Try this method first.
But once a week is not enough. The enclosure probably is dry, he could get dehydrated if you don't bathe regularly. IMO, every day/or every other day. Hope this helps, best of luck. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

Ditto Wendy ! xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
jamestaylor18
Hatched

I bath mine daily at the min but they have just come out of hibernation so that's why! Generally, they only get a bath once/twice a week which is plenty.

We need to remember that these animals are from very hot countries in the wild and won't see daily baths and they survive! They get moisture from food too don't forget, weeds & plants tend to be a high percentage water.
x1 Tree Frog (Freddie)
x1 Corn Snake (Nessie)
jamestaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
cherylahutch
Adult

Will give it a go in the mornings see if he is happy doing it then lol. I do see him drinking his water sometimes so he is drinking.
Old 16-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

make sure the water is warm enough, if you think how warm they like to be sitting under the basking lamp then luke warm water may seem cold, have an experiment with the temps. I find my sully likes her water fairly warm and will stretch out and sink under it with just her head out, she'll sit in there for ages untill I get her out.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
cherylahutch
Adult

Just gave him a little bath. He was quite happy for five minutes or so then started climbing out so guess its a good start. How do you bath them? I just let him sit and soak but are you ment to clean there she'll for them or anything. Then i just gently dry off his underneath which he seems to quite like lol
Old 16-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
JoesMum
Hatchling

I just leave Joe to relax in the warm water. I hear him clattering round the bath when he's has enough.

Shell washing is reserved for days when he appears to have deliberately stomped in his poo!
Old 16-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
EJ
Adult

I don't think bathing is a necessity if you know the tortoise is drinking from the water dish. I only soak tortoises that I know are not drinking from the water dish such as babies and new tortoises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylahutch View Post
Hiya
Just wondering about bathing tortoise I know alot of people on here seem to daily bath there tortoise and I have been giving Elvis a warm bath once a week, he had a water dish all the time which I give him fresh water daily and he happily climbs in and out of but to be honest he does not seem overly keen on his baths, Do Horsfields need to have a bath? I would not want to stress him out by doing it if he doesn't want one, to be honest he sometimes just sits and soaks a bit and seems happy enough but most of the time he just tries to climb back out again.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care

Last edited by EJ; 16-02-2012 at 01:45 PM.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote