Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 21-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #21
Pussygalore
Adult

doubt if there were many flowers or pansies either
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #22
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

There would be wild flowers though, because many of the weeds we have here are also found in Europe and other areas where tortoises are found.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #23
Pussygalore
Adult

yes there would be but not all the year and probably only after rain or in peoples gardens.
Old 21-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #24
wizzasmum

As you say not all year round - but all the flowers we found were wild and moslty on the lower mountain region where the torts were. The smell in the mornings was wonderful. You did not walk on grass but loads and loads of flowers and herbs
Old 21-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #25
linda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzasmum
As you say not all year round - but all the flowers we found were wild and moslty on the lower mountain region where the torts were. The smell in the mornings was wonderful. You did not walk on grass but loads and loads of flowers and herbs
sue it sounds idylic

could you possibly do a separate thread with pictures from the wild

i know i would really enjoy looking and im sure many others would to

please prety please
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #26
Pussygalore
Adult

sounds lovely where were you, the part of spain we were in was like barren waste ground and the south of france not a lot better although we did see road signs for torts but never saw any.
Old 21-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #27
helen1
Sub Adult

Hi, yes pics would be lovely. Whereabouts where you? A group of us are going into tort country, somewhere in the world next year to observe in the wild, has anyone any suggestions re where to go? It is a treat from my son and a chance to do some research ourselves into natural habitat etc. He has also(apparently) bought me some very expensive books to read for my birthday, hubby let the secret out and said"£200 for a book must have more money than sense" Cant wait.
Old 21-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #28
wizzasmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzasmum
sue it sounds idylic

could you possibly do a separate thread with pictures from the wild

i know i would really enjoy looking and im sure many others would to

please prety please
Will do it later Linda, just for you<g>
Old 21-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #29
wizzasmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore
sounds lovely where were you, the part of spain we were in was like barren waste ground and the south of france not a lot better although we did see road signs for torts but never saw any.
Southern Turkey, Antalya region, not far from Olympus, not the tourist area. Tourist areas are not generally good for vegetation <g>
Old 21-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #30
wizzasmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen1
Hi, yes pics would be lovely. Whereabouts where you? A group of us are going into tort country, somewhere in the world next year to observe in the wild, has anyone any suggestions re where to go? It is a treat from my son and a chance to do some research ourselves into natural habitat etc. He has also(apparently) bought me some very expensive books to read for my birthday, hubby let the secret out and said"£200 for a book must have more money than sense" Cant wait.

I would suggest you become a tortoise and look at ground level, also use your ears more than eyes and be careful not to kneel on hatchlings I would say the golden rule is never to handle them as they often void urine through stress and if their supplies of liquid are not replenished they can dehydrate and die very quickly in the hot sun