Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 02-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #21
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Yes but, keeping mammals is very different to keeping reptiles, and You do have to create as close a natural habitat as possible to re create those very specific conditions for good growth and health, unlike many mammles. I personally think to be a tortoise keeper you do need to be a bit of geek or nerd about it, unlike mammals. I have seen first hand with one of my hatchlings ( pickle ) who went to a new home, I gave a full set of clear instructions on how to keep a hatchling tortoise, and it was nearly a disaster. I really do believe if it puts people off, then they are not committed or dare I say nerdy enough. I'm not having a rant, but that's just what I believe. And to be honest what would animal welfare in this country demand for keeping tortoises, I doubt they have a clue about the reality of creating the right conditions for good growth, they would probably say, if it's got food and water then that's fine, but we know that's not the case. Just saying.
My name is Emma and I'm a tortoise nerd.
That's what my family all think. Some extended members of the family seriously do not get it at all and think it prevents me from doing other things, like going away and having long holidays, etc. They don't see how I can get any enjoyment from keeping tortoises and my efforts to explain fall on deaf ears. It makes me chuckle as my husband's uncle's passion is tanks!!! How can a tank be more interesting than a tort?!!

I do think that you have to be pretty nerdy and very committed to having torts. I agree most animal welfare groups don't know what a tortoise needs and from my experience (via my son who works in the veterinary business) I know that most vets don't either. The torts that are kept at a fairly local animal management college are fed the wrong foods and kept on tortoise life.

Tortoise nerds rock!!!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #22
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
That's what my family all think. Some extended members of the family seriously do not get it at all and think it prevents me from doing other things, like going away and having long holidays, etc. They don't see how I can get any enjoyment from keeping tortoises and my efforts to explain fall on deaf ears. It makes me chuckle as my husband's uncle's passion is tanks!!! How can a tank be more interesting than a tort?!!

I do think that you have to be pretty nerdy and very committed to having torts. I agree most animal welfare groups don't know what a tortoise needs and from my experience (via my son who works in the veterinary business) I know that most vets don't either. The torts that are kept at a fairly local animal management college are fed the wrong foods and kept on tortoise life.

Tortoise nerds rock!!!
My name is Jan and I am a tortoise nerd.

My husband thinks I am obsessed too. Not just fussing over my dear torts but on this forum regularly. He warns me I need to be careful about the site, but I think if he read our discussions he would be reassured. I am not on Facebook or twitter and this is the only forum I read and contribute to and love it.

My friends just can't quite understand and ask me what is the point. So sad.....
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #23
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post

Tortoise nerds rock!!!
I feel the same, most people don't understand the whole tortoise thing at all, I am an official tortoise nerd. What I like about this forum is that although we are tortoise nerds, we do still have a sense of humour, thankfully!

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #24
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
My name is Jan and I am a tortoise nerd.

My husband thinks I am obsessed too. Not just fussing over my dear torts but on this forum regularly. He warns me I need to be careful about the site, but I think if he read our discussions he would be reassured. I am not on Facebook or twitter and this is the only forum I read and contribute to and love it.

My friends just can't quite understand and ask me what is the point. So sad.....
Luckily I do now have two friends near to me that are tortoise nerds too, I converted them

Old 02-03-2016, 09:20 PM   #25
Gordon
Adult

Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #26
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
That's so true. I'm proud to be a tortoise nerd.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #27
vikki
Hatched

I like to think i am a tortoise nerd
But i also like to think i am an "any animal i choose to keep" nerd - i agree that the majority of mammals are relatively easier to keep but only due to the fact that they have been domesticated for so long or are native to this country - however when you start to dig deeper look at the amount of disastrous mammal keeping and husbandry out there and it is probably as bad if not worse than most reptile keeping. Think of the amount of dog bites that could have been prevented through correct care and training, the sheer number in rescue..............
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #28
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki View Post
I like to think i am a tortoise nerd
But i also like to think i am an "any animal i choose to keep" nerd - i agree that the majority of mammals are relatively easier to keep but only due to the fact that they have been domesticated for so long or are native to this country - however when you start to dig deeper look at the amount of disastrous mammal keeping and husbandry out there and it is probably as bad if not worse than most reptile keeping. Think of the amount of dog bites that could have been prevented through correct care and training, the sheer number in rescue..............
I agree with " disastrous mammal keeping" it happens too, but I think that's more down to neglect and cruelty. Mammals do adapt to different environments better than reptiles, on the whole! Where as reptiles have evolved to thrive in a finely balanced ecosystem/ habitat, which we are only just understanding what all the conditions are that, for example , are needed for smooth shell growth. And with out the right combination of conditions, a tortoise will not grow with a smooth shell. Then if you look at most mammals e.g a dog or cat, if you give it meat and water , it will grow and thrive well, obviously they need training and exercise too. And I think when it goes wrong it's neglect and cruelty or lazyness. So I think the nerdy bit comes into play a bit more with reptiles, in that, we need to understand a lot more science about reptiles.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:37 AM   #29
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Absolutely correct, and I have also been called weird , which I did feel a bit offended by. But I thought , if you can't understand me, your loss!

Old 03-03-2016, 07:41 AM   #30
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
im not sure I would have 'nerdy tortoise keeper' on my t shirt but agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment. The number of people who say oooh I want a tortoise and then when it comes to it don't actually want one or know what's involved. In future I will call them non nerdy and refer them to the hamster shop.

My one was called Barney, Keith. When I was about 8 I had one and called him Brandy. It was going to be called Guinness (bless my nan), but I couldn't spell it at 8 years old. CB
You've given me an idea, I now want a t shirt with " nerdy tortoise keeper" written on it and yes I agree if people are prepared to be a nerd about tortoise keeping , do refer them to the hamster shop !