Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 31-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
JoesMum
Hatchling

Joe is a Graeca not a Horsfield, but he is another roamer. Giving him plenty of obstacles to climb over seems to help... he's quite big, so I use house bricks! He spends his roaming time deliberately climbing the bricks... they get moved as I clean the enclosure, but he pushes them round too!
Old 31-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
natstorts
Juvenile

My 4/5 year old hermann male is the same as well...always climbing up the sides of his table and climbing over anything he can set his eyes on. Putting things in for him to climb over definitely seemed to help him although he does still climb the sides lol

1.0.1 THBs(Freddie and Flo)
0.0.1 Leopard(Otis)
1.1.0 Dogs (Zac + Meg)
2.0.0 Cats (Oli + Billy)
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Draz)
1.0.0 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Ralph)
2.0.0 Gerbils (Patch + Digger)
natstorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #13
lynnedit
Hatched

My Horsfield male is often roaming. (had him < 1 year, no hibernation this year).
I have a ramp to a small second level where I feed him (easier to keep clean). He is constantly stomping up there to check if any new food has appeared, then back down to bask. If food is too long in coming, he then has 2 spots where he tries to get out and it makes a lot of noise...
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
EJ
Adult

What are you calling 'good' temperatures. It could be too warm for him. You should be able to provide a warm basking site with a much cooler end in that enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinPie View Post
I had my Horsfield in a 4 foot Tortoise box, temperatures were good and it had plenty of stuff in there for him to investigate but he was not happy, he spent 16+ hours a day climbing against the side of the box (he can't see over the top). I put him outside in the summer in a massive enclosure with loads of nice weeds, he just spent hour upon hour climbing against the side of the pen, he didn't care about the weeds.

I don't know what to do, I'm beside myself. I've owned him for over a year now and it feels like I'm not able to look after him and also feel like he has never been happy, this behaviour has been continuous for the whole time I've owned him. I let him roam free around the whole house and he just does the same, he's always trying to get somewhere... I don't know where
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
PumpkinPie
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to PumpkinPie

He does it regardless of temperature, whether he's outside or just walking about the house with no light on at all.
PumpkinPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
It sounds like you have whats called a transient male. Not sure anyone has studied it in Horsfields, but they have in 3 toed box turtles. There are resident males and transient males in a population. Resident males stick around a definate territory. Transient males just walk for their whole lives. They spread the genes from population to population.
I don't think there is much you can do if you have a transient male as he will be programed to just go. The only thing that might help is to have an enclosure that is circular, so he has no corners to climb into. It's nothing you have done, it's just the way he is.

Danny
That's fascinating Dan, a very interesting theory
Old 06-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #17
bradley g
Egg

i have the opposite problem with my two hoursefield, all they want to do is sleep
bradley g is offline   Reply With Quote