Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 03-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Neddy
Sub Adult

Default Ralph....fresh food....pellets

Hi Everyone,

For those who don't know I have a leopard tortoise Ralph, who is the fussiest eater ever!

It took until he was 4 1/2 to eat grass and he has never eaten pellets so you can imagine how feeding him can be at times a total nightmare. I didn't want to feed pellets as thought natural was the best route but has he has other ideas I need to rethink.

In the summer months I feel relaxed as he can go out and graze and there are plenty of weeds about

In the winter though well this is where I start to panic.....he simply won't eat grass that has been picked and I have tried not giving in and he out last me!!

However today he ate a whole bowlful of pellets, now the jar is nearly empty through the amount of attempts this has taken but he has finally done it....fingers crossed he will again tomorrow.....

Now I know that people are going to frown about it but I need to do what is right for him and feeding him, lettuce all winter I feel isn't right. I don't know what he is missing in his diet for start and the variety well.......sucks....

My question....can I feed Komodo complete daily and give him romanie lettuce & lambs lettuce and whatever else I can find...will he be ok on this?

I just want a bit of reassurance.....

Thanks

Sara
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Herpard
Adult

My leopard won't eat grass, not unless she's outside and chooses it herself.

During the winter months she gets florette salad, pellets and whatever weeds I can find.

She gets the pellets once a week and every 2 week's as a treat I buy her a couple living lettuce that I bury in the soil.....it's great watching her dig up the roots and eat them and once a month she gets 1/4 of either a red or yellow pepper....she loves them.

Also if my local garden center has any tortoise friendly flowers/plants she gets them too.
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

I would consider adding the pre alpine cobs to your leopards pellets they aren't a complete food but will up the fiber content of the meal which leopards need, anyway here's the link to where you can buy them and their imformation. they need soaking and mixing in well.
http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk/page8.htm
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Neddy
Sub Adult

Tried them and he won't go near it
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Merlin M
Adult

Got my 2 Horsfields to eat Pre alpine by mixing it with the Komodo pellets, they tried to just eat round it but couldn't so had to eat it!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

my sully was very keen on her pellets (mazuri/nutrazu) so she was going to eat them even with something else mixed in, I started with more mazuri than pre alpine and gradually added more. After a while she was happily eating more Alpine than the pellet, she always though had fresh greenery alongside and would eat that as well.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote