Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 23-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
JawsMew
Egg

Default planning an outdoor house for my tort.

So ... I rehomed a tort who is around 50yrs. It's spent its whole life outdoors. No shelter other than a wooden hut (which they didn't give to me when he arrived as it was mouldy and damp). I have posted on here and found it to be fab but wanted to talk face to face. I went to a reptile shop today to ask about an outdoor house which I could offer light / heat on horrid days. They laughed at me saying he had lived for 50yrs and doesn't need any heat or light. Nothing. So I left. That's the only local shop to me.
He looks miserable today. It was cold and wet and my heart sank for him sitting in a cold dog kennel. Surly he would benefit from warmth?
So ... I need your help. Please.
I am planning a wooden shelter house for him which will be in my garden. The garden will be his. It is safe and walled and all his to roam. I am planting weed mixes and adding tort friendly things for him. But I want a house outdoors which he can retreat and be comfy. The door during the day will always be open. Because of the open door policy during the day, how big ideally would it be? He is around 30cm.
I really really need help with heat and light.
What does he need? A basking lamp? Because he will be outdoors all the time does he need uv light? I have looked online at and its all gobbley gook. It makes no sense. Help! What shall I buy, what do I do? And do you think the above sounds okay. I won't lie. I have had him one week and I have fallen in love and have nightmares that I am not looking after him correctly. I really want to learn.
JawsMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawsMew View Post
So ... I rehomed a tort who is around 50yrs. It's spent its whole life outdoors. No shelter other than a wooden hut (which they didn't give to me when he arrived as it was mouldy and damp). I have posted on here and found it to be fab but wanted to talk face to face. I went to a reptile shop today to ask about an outdoor house which I could offer light / heat on horrid days. They laughed at me saying he had lived for 50yrs and doesn't need any heat or light. Nothing. So I left. That's the only local shop to me.
He looks miserable today. It was cold and wet and my heart sank for him sitting in a cold dog kennel. Surly he would benefit from warmth?
So ... I need your help. Please.
I am planning a wooden shelter house for him which will be in my garden. The garden will be his. It is safe and walled and all his to roam. I am planting weed mixes and adding tort friendly things for him. But I want a house outdoors which he can retreat and be comfy. The door during the day will always be open. Because of the open door policy during the day, how big ideally would it be? He is around 30cm.
I really really need help with heat and light.
What does he need? A basking lamp? Because he will be outdoors all the time does he need uv light? I have looked online at and its all gobbley gook. It makes no sense. Help! What shall I buy, what do I do? And do you think the above sounds okay. I won't lie. I have had him one week and I have fallen in love and have nightmares that I am not looking after him correctly. I really want to learn.
ah bless Poor tort First things first - have you got an existing structure in your garden which has power, or you could run power to - a shed, greenhouse, garage etc from which you could provide access to the garden? If not, is the dog kennel big enough to fit a basking lamp above him? that would really give him a boost If he is out all the time, personally I think he should get enough natural UV. Can you put up a picture of any outdoor structure you have, or, of his dog kennel then we can have a go at working with what you have

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
JawsMew
Egg

I have a garage which I can run electric from. The kennel I currently have is too low I am thinking to have a lamp. If I don't require light for him, just a basking lamp, could you maybe help me with that. What watt to go for, how high above him it needs to be, how long in the day it needs to be on and if I need heat for him during the summer hot evenings. I think the guy in the shop was a plonker. He laughed at me! But looking at my tort today I just felt so sad for him ; (
Old 24-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
ibizathetort
Adult

I have a greenhouse for mine
Hatchling Horsfield - Bora
Hatchling Horsfield - Bossa
Hatchling Horsfield - Jet

ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

Sod the plonker in the shop. Some sort of structure like a small shed, even a child's Wendy house or large cold frame. Any of these can have electrics fitted, so you can hang a basking light and a tube heater maybe. It is still quite cold some days. Have a look on the housing section to get ideas of what people use for shelter.
This is a good one recently posted, it shows you how to set up inside the shelter, with electrics and light and heat. This one is insulated which is a good idea.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=71562

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012

Last edited by Suze65; 24-04-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
wigwamman
Juvenile

my outdoor heated house is just a coldframe,doors in each section to allow torts to come and go,perspex roof to allow light/warmth inside,120watt security lamp in each section controlled by habistat dimmer.
when the sun comes out the lamps dim down or even go off so no need to worry too much about lekky!
this was built with scrap pieces of plywood,a reclaimed perspex sheet for the roof,dimmerstat £35ish from ebay,lamp/s £6 from wilko,an old lawnmower cable provides the power,some plugs and a little wiring and bobs your uncle.
i use this every day when i'm home but bring torts in at night for security reasons.i hope this gives you a few ideas.

wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Don't know if you garden joins on to your garage, if it did you could look at sectioning off part for tort, but you would have to make access out to the garden Alternatively, you can of course run power from the garage to your structure. I use ordinary 60w spotlight bulbs for my guys outside in their greenhouse, positioned approx. 24" above the floor. Your tort house will need to be tall enough to allow for this and big enough for tort to move away if getting too warm Keep calling him your tort - what is his name Wigwamman's cold frame looks great and the dimming thermostat would pay for itself in saved electricity
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/rept...tat-26743.html
If you wanted to provide extra heat, a thermostatic tube heater would be great
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thermotube...item53f509e6cd

Hope that helps a bit Oh yes, and the petshop person was def a plonker

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
JawsMew
Egg

Thank you. His name is Jaws. wigwhaman what is the tortoise you have in the center in your first photo? That tort looks excat the same as mine I will be doing a bit more research and getting crafty! When you say bring them in, when they are that size what do you keep them in during the evening?
Old 24-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
Suze65
Adult

I also bring mine indoors at night, for security reasons, just in a cardboard box.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
wigwamman
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawsMew View Post
Thank you. His name is Jaws. wigwhaman what is the tortoise you have in the center in your first photo? That tort looks excat the same as mine I will be doing a bit more research and getting crafty! When you say bring them in, when they are that size what do you keep them in during the evening?
the tort is an ibera,girls kept together,boys seperated.i have tables in spare room with lights and uv although the lights are not used at the moment.i carry them in a washing basket in and out of the house.
there is a road and footpath along the side of our house,hence the reason for bringing them in.
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote