Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 29-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #21
burnt toast
Adult

Aww, we lost my sons guinea pig this summer (well I say my sons, he lost interest in no time, guess Boris was mine!) He was 10 years old. About 4 years ago we noticed he was off his food and very bony. We took him to the vets who gave him metacam, antibiotic and something else and trimmed his teeth. She was very dismissive and basically said he'd had a good innings this was a last ditch attempt and if he didnt improve not tto bring him back I remember hubby moaning that for £38 (the vets fee) he could havee brought me two"new ones"! We did some research and felt Boris was stressed because he had been brought inside in a big cage but we omittted to give him a hide, got him a bright pink! Igloo and he was fine. I brought him indoors for the last 4 or 5 years during severe cold spells. But he had 4 good years after this and died in his sleep.

Last edited by burnt toast; 29-01-2014 at 07:47 PM.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #22
becciwales
Adult

Poor Evie. I'm sure she'll have the best care going and be fine in no time. If she's eating she must be ok xx

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #23
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Aww, we lost my sons guinea pig this summer (well I say my sons, he lost interest in no time, guess Boris was mine!) He was 10 years old. About 4 years ago we noticed he was off his food and very bony. We took him to the vets who gave him metacam, antibiotic and something else and trimmed his teeth. She was very dismissive and basically said he'd had a good innings this was a last ditch attempt and if he didnt improve not tto bring him back I remember hubby moaning that for £38 (the vets fee) he could havee brought me two"new ones"! We did some research and felt Boris was stressed because he had been brought inside in a big cage but we omittted to give him a hide, got him a bright pink! Igloo and he was fine. I brought him indoors for the last 4 or 5 years during severe cold spells. But he had 4 good years after this and died in his sleep.
Aww....poor Boris. He got to a good age though and passed peacefully.
Our guineas are four years now but our rabbit will be 14 this summer. He's not quite so strong on his legs as he was but he's still a happy rabbit and we're all dreading the day he passes away. He got a clean bill of health from the vet last year and was the oldest rabbit the vet had seen.

Guineas do make cute pets but as with all our loved animals, it's horrid to see them unwell or in pain.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #24
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Aww bless Boris and bless you Lynn . I love guinea pigs.
This is what I love about this forum, people who care so much about all creatures, big and small.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #25
Homerlovesme
Incubating

Ohhhh what a shame I hope Evie is ok. Disappointing that the vet ruled out pain relief.
Amazing to read of the longevity of some of your guinea pigs & rabbits! Our experiences i am afraid make a sad list of early deaths
But I think guinea pigs have the most gorgeous, kissable lips imaginable

Lots of donkeys - but always room for more
A small herd of ancient ponies
A growing creep of torts
A pack of pesky dogs
Some lazy cats
More hens, ducks & geese than you can shake a stick at
And one pot bellied pig
Homerlovesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #26
Pussygalore
Adult

I think its bad that the vet didn't do anything and I'm sorry but I'd have had something to say, they could have sedated or anesatised (spelt wrong I know) set the bones straight and put a little splint or plaster around it and pain relief of somekind. I bet if it had been the vets leg he wouldn't have wanted it left, it must be painfull, poor little piggy I hope it soon gets better.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #27
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

We had a rabbit who broke her pelvis. It was complete cage rest for six weeks - no medication. We blocked off the living quarters in her hutch from her sleeping area so that she could stay in there and look out/get air etc. It was during a hot summer so she had to have a large umbrella/parasol across the front of the hutch to keep the sun away.

At the end of the six weeks she was up and about and went on to live for several more years.

Hope the guinea pig makes a full recovery.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #28
Pussygalore
Adult

our hamster broke a leg, she was on 'holiday' in a pet shop and someone dropped her, they didn't say and it was only when we got her home and she didn't come out of her bed that we checked her. the poor little thing couldn't move and had been in her bed for a couple of days at least as she was desperatley thirsty when we offered her water by hand, anyway we immediatley took her to the vets who told us her front leg was broken he gave her a painkilling injection. The vet was furious with the shop and wrote them a letter demanding they pay for the vet visit etc anyway they did and stopped taking animals after that but we never knew who dropped her but she was high up on a shelf so would have had a big fall. Pips leg did mend and we had to feed and give her water in her bed untill she wanted to move again but she always had a bad limp on her leg which was wonky. We felt terrible as she could have been laying hurt in her bed hoping someone would look and she must have been so thirsty, needless to say I gave the shop a right mouthfull, had the person owned up who dropped her she could have been taken to the vets straight away and cared for not just put her back and hope no one notices. here she is eating a flower before she hurt her leg with hubby who's as soppy as me. Pip used to love to go out in the garden and would fill her pouches with clover and dandelions then lay in the sun, we'd never have another though as they have such short lives and it was very sad when she had to be put to sleep as she had a stomach tumour, she sat on the vets table washing her face and even he was upset.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 30-01-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #29
pagan queen
Adult

Evie is as right a rain today. You wouldn't know anything had happened. She's such a cheerful happy little pig, nothing seems to keep her down. She is hopping round the small area she does have with her leg stuck out to the side. Eating all her veg and grass up like a good girl.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #30
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
Evie is as right a rain today. You wouldn't know anything had happened. She's such a cheerful happy little pig, nothing seems to keep her down. She is hopping round the small area she does have with her leg stuck out to the side. Eating all her veg and grass up like a good girl.
Glad to hear she's doing well Wendy.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote