Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 13-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #11
gtm
Hatchling

I've been bringing mine in every evening for the past week or so now & I 'cook' them under the lights in the morning for couple of hours before they go in the garden. The odd overcast day is one thing but to expect a juvenile tortoise to handle prolonged cool weather we've been experiencing recently when it's evolved to live in the middle east is asking a bit much.
gtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
Chris Ralph
Hatched

Yes I have been doing this too-when they are outside and the temps aren't warm enough they spend their time asleep in their house.
Mind you-when I bring them in they romp around for hours-seems they would like to be out. Can't blame them.
Where's summer gone???
Chris
Chris Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
sandy
Adult

Here in Kent we have been quite lucky, not having up till now as much rain as others. We have had torrential rain here this morning, but mine were still out mating<g>. Others staying inside the greenhouse, or their coldframes. Now at the moment its lovely and sunny and warm. The wind is quite blowy but the torts are out and about.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
gtm
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ralph View Post
Yes I have been doing this too-when they are outside and the temps aren't warm enough they spend their time asleep in their house.
Mind you-when I bring them in they romp around for hours-seems they would like to be out. Can't blame them.
Where's summer gone???
Chris

Tell me about it! One of mine has to be overwintered this year & he refuses to eat indoors! If I put him in the tortoise table he just hides but outdoors he is the life & soul of the party & eats every in sight. I'm planning to switch to a megaray bulb (I currently use a 10% UVB tube) which I hope may persuade him to behave normally indoors.
gtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #15
Chris Ralph
Hatched

Hi GTM.
I have a combination bulb bought from Dazza on here. It's been great and the torts are happily sunbathing underneath as I type.
They have, however been walking miles all day around their table-it's been like november here so they've been indoors in the warm. I guess they'd rather be outside but then it's August-wouldn't we all.
Tomorrow is supposed to be better-horray!
Chris
Chris Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote