Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 18-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
tash111986
Egg

Default newbie seeking advice

Hi there, we are new torture owners as of Friday just passed. Our Hermann tortoise is 5 months old and named shellman. He is living in a tortoise table that is 4ft by 2 and a half ft. We have set up a 60 watt basking lamp and he also has a uvb strip. We are currently using coconut terrain. He's quite active and seems happy enough considering he's in a new place. We're planning to feed him 5 days out of seven with added calcium supplement. Since having him home I've noticed his she'll looks to be in poor condition and I'm very concerned. The petshop told us it was just growth lines however I'm not entirely convinced. I'm hoping if I post a picture someone may be able to advise me. The lines are quite wide and some of the scutes (I may have that wrong) appear quite dry and brittle. Please help. We want to do the best by shellman. Thanks in advance.
tash111986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #2
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tash111986 View Post
Hi there, we are new torture owners as of Friday just passed. Our Hermann tortoise is 5 months old and named shellman. He is living in a tortoise table that is 4ft by 2 and a half ft. We have set up a 60 watt basking lamp and he also has a uvb strip. We are currently using coconut terrain. He's quite active and seems happy enough considering he's in a new place. We're planning to feed him 5 days out of seven with added calcium supplement. Since having him home I've noticed his she'll looks to be in poor condition and I'm very concerned. The petshop told us it was just growth lines however I'm not entirely convinced. I'm hoping if I post a picture someone may be able to advise me. The lines are quite wide and some of the scutes (I may have that wrong) appear quite dry and brittle. Please help. We want to do the best by shellman. Thanks in advance.
Hi you've come to the right place for advice , it would be easier if you posted a few pictures of Shellmans shell
Old 18-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #3
tash111986
Egg

Unfortunately I don't think I am allowed to post photos yet.... or I can't figure out how to. It says I may not post attachments I was hoping to add some pictures to my profile but am also unable to do that
Old 18-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
Suze65
Adult

Yes if you can post some pics, we will be able to help. But sounds like your doing mostly all the right things, with substrate and lighting. Keep the substrate moist ( not wet) and give him a hide, so the humidity will build up inside this, give him a warm soak daily. It could be that he is dehydrated , but we will be able to advise better when you have posted pics.
Personally I feed mine every day.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #5
tash111986
Egg

Sorry, it appears I am unable to post pictures yet and my replies have to be approved first because it's a new account. His table has a separate covered area that he sleeps in (I say he but we're unsure of it) would that be a hide? Or do you mean something else?
Old 19-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #6
burnt toast
Adult

You need to have made 5 posts to qualify for posting pictures. (You could comment on pictures to up your posts) There is a guide at the top of the pictures section of how to post the pictures (possibly in "important threads/posts)

If you need help just shout
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
tash111986
Egg

Thanks for the help. I've actually noticed that since shellman is having a bath everyday it seems to be improving. I don't think he was given baths before and there was no uv in his enclosure. I am hoping with the right lighting and diet that it will continue to improve. I'm also wondering if I can make up his salad once a week in advance or if it's better to have different foods each day?
Old 20-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
tash111986
Egg

I just thought I'd update you. We took shellman to a vet today who said that his shell is in fact in a poor condition and he suspects that it's is due to insufficient lighting and a bad diet. He's said our set up sounds excellent and that his condition should improve but will take some time. We had a good chat with regards to diet and we've decided to begin growing our own food for him. Does anyone else do this?
Old 22-01-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
Jan W
Sub Adult

It sounds as though you have received some helpful advice from the vet.

I have loads of weeds in my garden, even in winter and lots of flowers in the milder weather, so I do not need to grow anything specifically. We have been having discussion on the forum of drying weeds and flowers and although mine are not interested in dry (I have only just tried them this week) others have great success.

I have always used nutrobal too, which is a mix of calcium and vitamins, that I sprinkle on their food.

As soon as there is sunshine I always make sure they are out in the sun, with shade available too. Although days like today it is far too cold to take them out as the sun is not warm enough.

I am not as experienced as many on the forum, so I am sure you will receive some more tips.
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

baths definitely help Tash and the right UV. Jan is spot on with outside as much as possible springtime onwards, even on shady days there is UV and Lux coming through.
Natural weeds is probably best but as long you provide the right requirements though a salad mix there is no problem. Tortoises can be fussy so good luck as mine tend to cherry pick their food. Preparation is advance, cant see an issue with that either as long as the goodness is preserved and not artificially. Be good to hear how he gets on. CB