Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 11-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
yagyujubei
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
Seems to have worked well...but I can't help being uncomfortable with all that weight gain in such a short space of time...
I feel, that in the wild they are just surviving. 5000 yaers ago, the climate in Africa was much wetter, almost tropical. I guess the question is what climate did they elvolve for? Tropics of the past, or arid conditions now. I'm sure that when conditions were more lush, they ate much better than today, and grew much faster. I should also add that these are South African leopards. I have heard yea and nay re:if they grow faster than babcocki. Time will tell if I am right or wrong I suppose. They get no supplements other than calcium carbonate free choice. I think by their second birthday, they will be 7 - 8".
yagyujubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyujubei View Post
I feel, that in the wild they are just surviving. 5000 yaers ago, the climate in Africa was much wetter, almost tropical. I guess the question is what climate did they elvolve for? Tropics of the past, or arid conditions now. I'm sure that when conditions were more lush, they ate much better than today, and grew much faster. I should also add that these are South African leopards. I have heard yea and nay re:if they grow faster than babcocki. Time will tell if I am right or wrong I suppose. They get no supplements other than calcium carbonate free choice. I think by their second birthday, they will be 7 - 8".
i dont really see how this is valid , how can you compare a tortoise that lived 5000 years ago with one from today !, surely during all that time they have evolved through the last 5000 years and adapted like every other animal on the planet.
How can you compare the polar bear to the grizzly ? , but they both started out the same animal
Old 11-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #13
tort two
Hatched

Well i think as long as you are invested of the well being of your torts and they remain healthy,then your doing the best you can,lovely lookin torts by the way.Leopards that have grown faster than others all seem to lost a lot of their black colouration as we have seen on here a few times,has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?
tort two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #14
HLogic
Egg

5K years ago in Northern Africa it was more 'tropical', probably closer to temperate than tropical though. The Southern hemisphere was actually colder contributing to an overall colder average global temperature. 5K years may be enough time for some adaptation to occur but not sufficient to substantially effect them in evolutionary terms.

As it turns out, 5K years ago there were crocs and hippopotomi(uses?) in the lakes formed in the Sahara. They did not adapt, they died, when the current conditions arrived...

I believe rapid growth in torts *could* be detrimental but only time will tell. We don't have enough evidence one way or another to state fact. Given another 50 years, we may... and I may be posting that it is the *best* thing for your tort!
HLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #15
Habranthus
Incubating

You're right, at least in terms of 5000 years not being a long time for evolutionary change. It's an incredibly complex process which i remember a lot of my uni professors admitted they didn't understand fully. It's also difficult to predict how animals will adapt (and have adapted) to changes. Just because a species still exists thousands of years after major environmental change doesn't necessarily mean they have adapted, rather that being able to survive their new environment was already part of their repertoire. The problem is we really don't know whether you're right and they would be happier with the environment of 5000 years ago or the one they currently encounter in the wild. Chances are south africa has changed several times since leopard torts evolved. They do look healthier than loads of leopard torts I've seen - will be interesting to see how they do in the future.
Old 19-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #16
herpderp
Egg

Overfeeding can cause the shell to split and kill them, it happens in captivity as people can treat reptiles like mammals and overfeed them fatty and sugary foods but forgetting they dont tend to exercise much
herpderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 05:25 AM   #17
onarock
Hatched

10.5 months and 440g. Not exactly what I would call fast growth for a p.pardalis. Nice looking tortoise though, little concerned about the color, but nice looking tortoise
onarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #18
EJ
Adult

Nice looking tortoise.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #19
Evie
Sub Adult

Try and stop mine eating !!!

I would have to keep them in their enclosure all day.

My last rehomer was only 440 gms when I got her - I will have had her 3 years in October - she is 6.4 kgms now.

They are beautiful pictures.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
yagyujubei
Incubating

I thought that I would give an update. Hrothgar, the second one in my original pics is continuing to grow at a phenominal rate. Currently, he is 7 1/4"scl, and 1400g.

Ragnar is 6 //4"scl, and 840g. Both were born Aug/2010

Not all are growing at such a rate, I have several the same age at 350 to 500g.
yagyujubei is offline   Reply With Quote