Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 06-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
miss_elle
Incubating

Default Formulated Diet For Stars

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on what would be the best formulated diet for my 1 year old stars?

Nutrazu I've looked for but can't seem to find somewhere that supply it..

Looking over other posts it looks like T-Rex Tortoise Food is recommended, but what about this one I found?
https://reptilekeeping.net/catalog/p...oducts_id=1843

Not something I wanna use all the time - I'm just finding it hard to balance their diet. They won't eat grass pellets & readi grass, so I'm doubtful they'll eat a formulated diet
miss_elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
fantapants
Hatchling

Send a message via AIM to fantapants Send a message via MSN to fantapants Send a message via Yahoo to fantapants

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_elle View Post
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on what would be the best formulated diet for my 1 year old stars?

Looking over other posts it looks like T-Rex Tortoise Food is recommended, but what about this one I found?

Not something I wanna use all the time - I'm just finding it hard to balance their diet. They won't eat grass pellets & readi grass, so I'm doubtful they'll eat a formulated diet
check the classified thread on here, am sure somebody was selling 350g bags of nutrazu pellets for £4 (ish). other than that you CAN get them but only in sacks that are around 15kg. i imagine thats more than you need for baby stars!
fantapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
Paulg1
Adult

look up mazuri. 2 out of three of my torts love the stuff. Ed swears by it. I'm sure he'll be by to comment soon.

"Stop the world, I want to get off!"
Paulg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:05 AM   #4
cotley
Egg

Can I ask why you would prefer to go for a substitute diet at all?

I genuinely don't understand why some swear by such ersatz readymeals when it is so cheap and easy to grab a handful of weeds, sprinkle with calcium and occasionally another supplement like reptavite or nutrobal? Is it purely the convenience factor?
cotley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:30 AM   #5
Paulg1
Adult

I will use it sparingly on days where my body doesn't allow me to get out and forrage for weeds. Unfortuneatly I have the back of a 90year old. My guys are outside I'd say 75% of the time eating what they want so they don't get the formulated diet often. I've had the same 1lb bag for about 4 months now. I agree with you on free weeds and grasses. Some use it exclusively like Ed and has produced wonderful results.

"Stop the world, I want to get off!"
Paulg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #6
EJ
Adult

The ones I recommend in the UK are Mazuri, NutraZu, T-rex tortoise diet, Monster tortoise diet and Pretty Pets... in that order.

I've found them to be especially suited to Stars.

I'll be putting together an update post on the progress of the Stars I've been using it on. It will blow your mind.

I use Mazuri exclusively with the Stars. Their health and development are amazing.

I'm not going to tell you how many Stars I've lost before going to this diet on a full time basis.

To other keepers I always suggest feeding greens along with the diet until you are comfortable with the diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_elle View Post

and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:08 AM   #7
EJ
Adult

I can tell you that it is not easy to grab a handfull of weeds... that will most likely lead to the death of the Star unless you really know your weeds and can provide a good enough variety and in the case of the Star... this is still no guarentee.

It is easy if you have a well planted yard and you allow the Star to graze at will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotley View Post

I genuinely don't understand why some swear by such ersatz readymeals when it is so cheap and easy to grab a handful of weeds, sprinkle with calcium and occasionally another supplement like reptavite or nutrobal? Is it purely the convenience factor?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:52 AM   #8
miss_elle
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantapants View Post
check the classified thread on here, am sure somebody was selling 350g bags of nutrazu pellets for £4 (ish). other than that you CAN get them but only in sacks that are around 15kg. i imagine thats more than you need for baby stars!
thank you i found the post & have enquired into it
Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
miss_elle
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
The ones I recommend in the UK are Mazuri, NutraZu, T-rex tortoise diet, Monster tortoise diet and Pretty Pets... in that order.

I've found them to be especially suited to Stars.

I'll be putting together an update post on the progress of the Stars I've been using it on. It will blow your mind.

I use Mazuri exclusively with the Stars. Their health and development are amazing.

I'm not going to tell you how many Stars I've lost before going to this diet on a full time basis.

To other keepers I always suggest feeding greens along with the diet until you are comfortable with the diet.

Are the stars you've been using it on CB or WC?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #10
miss_elle
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotley View Post

I live in London, where you can't trust weeds - in case they've had weedkiller on them.

& when you live in a flat with trays all over the window sills, struggling to fill the demand for them- you look for alternatives. its not about convenience.