Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #11
Tommi
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
I gave three months as thats the average for hibernation. And some keepers have to have a time. Once you have been keeping torts for as long as I have, you get to know your tortoises and what they do
I keep digging over the soil in the greenhouse as needed. As once they walk around it it goes harder again. But they manage to dig down whatever.
I usually know roughly where they are, as they do sometimes move up and down as the temps change. If I can see the very top of the shell, I cover with a curved roof tile.
If I have any that find it hard to settle (I always get a male ibera who does this) I cover the area with a piece of cardboard or hardboard to shut out light. This usually works.
Sandy, I have just inherited an elderly Algerian female, who had to be transported from her old home when her owner died approx 3 weeks ago. I have kept her in the same box with the straw that her owner had supplied. apparently she has always hibernated her like this in a shed. This was done on 6th November. I am checking Tommi daily and all is still dry in there, however as I have had no control over her weight monitoring I am concerned about the length of hibernation. She has never had the luxury of heat/uv lamps, just the garden. We have bought a safe secure house for her with a ramp/door and built an enclosure ready for her. Concerned on what to do next. By the way, I live in North West Kent.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote