Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
pagan queen
Adult

Default Fence laws.

I have been looking into this with regards to the neighbours addition to our fence and found some interesting info.
You are not allowed to paint or stain any fence that does not belong to you. You are not allowed to attach anything to the fence or lean anything against it. No soil must touch the fence.

If any of these things are done it is classed as criminal damage. If you wish to attach something to the fence between you and your neighbour you must erect your own fence on your property to do so.

I could force the removal of the screen our neighbours have attached to our fence and make them replace the fence they have damaged with nails and staples. They have put up more screen since the first 2 panels were covered. These 2 panels are a mess, they look like a roller coaster and look awful. But will I do anything? Probably not as I don't want to cause trouble.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
becciwales
Adult

There are some battles that aren't worth starting aren't there, but very interesting indeed! x

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
LonesomeGeorge
Hatched

Have you ever seen nightmare neighbors on TV? Maybe it could give you some inspiration as what to do about your problem, but as Becci said some battles aren't worth starting
Old 09-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
pagan queen
Adult

I will however ask them to pay for the damage caused if the screen blows down, and it's looking likely, and takes parts of our fence with it.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
Old 09-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
becciwales
Adult

Oh definitely!!!

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

It's not a party fence then Wendy? We were lucky as the fence between us and Pratman next door is a party fence and so he had to go halves when we erected the new one. He had to agree to it of course, but we were able to point out a few areas where the old panels were rotting and as he is clueless on any DIY, he agreed straightaway. Then we whacked up the taller one and as we don't get on, he didn't even mention the fact it was so much taller. I think he had already got the message loud and clear from us.

The difference between us is that your neighbour is clearly an intimidating person and ours is just an old perv who crumbled when confronted, so I can understand your reticence in approaching him regarding the screens.
It's an awful old situation, especially as you're now looking at something that's an eyesore.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
pagan queen
Adult

Well the proverbial has just hit the fan. I heard banging, they were firing more staples into the fence so I politely requested they stop as they were causing damage to my fence. He then went into a rage and started shouting that I should get a solicitor and our chickens were illegal because I don't have a license and they are attracting rats. I pointed out that the rats were attracted to the constant supply of bread they leave all over the garden and that we have a rat bait box behind the shed. Oh and we don't need a license to keep 3 chickens. He said he wants our chicken shed moved away from HIS fence, it's our fence. And then the whole CCTV bit came out. Why are we watching them, they want privacy etc. They also said my daughter looks out of her bedroom window and they don't want to be looked at.
I am shaking now, he was very verbally aggressive. He said he is getting a solicitor on to us. Oh and I'm just a sad old lady with nothing better to do. They also asked why we want CCTV and I said it was none of their business but since they were so interested I told them I have valuable animals in my garden.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
Old 09-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #8
emma_mcraf
Adult

Oh God, hope you're okay. What a nasty piece of work he is. Maybe it's time to make a visit to the CAB and see what they advise. I doubt very much he's going to 'get a solicitor onto you' - what an idiot he is!
As far as I'm aware, keeping poultry in the garden comes down to your deeds and the local council. It's not at all necessary to have a license.
He'll be wondering now what valuable animals you have in your garden....thank goodness you have CCTV to catch him out if he tries to have a look!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
Merlin M
Adult

Oh Wendy he is an utter Dick!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #10
pagan queen
Adult

He knows we have tortoises Emma, that's one of the reasons we got the CCTV, to monitor them in case he tries to poison them.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband