Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 20-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
gwenq
Hatchling

Default Ear Infection

As some of you know I had Sam at the vets on Friday. I told the vet I thought his ears looked very slightly swollen and he agreed and gave me baytril incase there is an infection.

I have been checking on line about ear infection and I haven't read anywhere that it is treated with antibiotics, all I have seen is the ears need to be cleaned out. Can it be treated with antibiotic? The reason I am getting anxious again is because one of his ears is looking bigger again today. What causes ear infections? I can post a picture if that would help.

thanks, Gwen
gwenq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Rowan
Sub Adult

I don't know the answer but I'd def put some pics up.

Bump!!

Row xx
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Box girl
Sub Adult

You are right ear abscesses are dealt by an op and sometimes then antibiotics. Caused by food getting into ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenq View Post
As some of you know I had Sam at the vets on Friday. I told the vet I thought his ears looked very slightly swollen and he agreed and gave me baytril incase there is an infection.

I have been checking on line about ear infection and I haven't read anywhere that it is treated with antibiotics, all I have seen is the ears need to be cleaned out. Can it be treated with antibiotic? The reason I am getting anxious again is because one of his ears is looking bigger again today. What causes ear infections? I can post a picture if that would help.

thanks, Gwen

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Pictures would definately help us figure out what might be going on.

Danny
Old 22-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
gwenq
Hatchling

I've added pictures, I know the ear doesn't look that bad but I'm just concerned about giving baytril if he doesn't need it, and if it is an infection I thought it needed an operation to treat it. Plus could you look at the last picture just noticed tonight that the white line is raised, anyone know what this is? Thanks for help.

Old 22-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I am not an expert in the least but I don't actually think the ears are swollen, they are the large round flat discs.

I think the white lines raised or otherwise is new growth.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
andy1
Hatched

Ive got agree with Alan, from those pictures it is difficult to see any swelling, but the pictures are not clear enougth to be certain.

As for treatment i was told that antibiotics were in effective as the ear cavity is poorly fed with blood so difficult to treat apart from opening up and cleaning and packing with antibiotic ointment.

Andy

Andy

3 groups of adult indian stars

2 breeding groups . , babies expected from august 2012onwardslewis.67@googlemail.com
andy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
gwenq
Hatchling

I'm probably just worrying over nothing, I'm good at that! i know white/black rings are new growth but Sam is almost 13 years old and he is 14 cms long and for that reason I didn't think it was growth rings.

I know the photos using my phone are c**p! it's my birthday next month so think a new camera is in order.
Old 22-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I'm not sure if adults produce new growth or not but it does look like new growth
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Not an ear infection in sight. He's perfectly fine. The bit that looks swollen above his actual ear is supposed to look like that.

Danny