Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 14-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #21
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

PS. Before you ask yes I live in Ireland, but my tortoises are UK CB and I was in fact born and lived in the UK for 30 years up until 6 years ago so I think I am eductaed enough to comment.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #22
geordie mark
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to geordie mark

lmao ^ why is your name ire ade then lol only joking mate i understand but the pet shop owner doesnt have too tell the breeder he oens a pet shop all he has too do is buy them ...
geordie mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #23
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

You would find Mark that a good breeder would question an individual wanting to buy so many tortoises.

A breeder worth his or her salt would not sell their hatchlings to anyone especially someone who potentially is just simply in it for profit, your fella might be different but would generally be the exception to the rule.

Many of us including myself with my first tortoise were caught out by these unscrupulous people and would although being very lucky with no health issues ever buy from anyone other than a reputable breeder direct, and to this end I think I speak for the majority of members on this forum.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #24
kaz9t9
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to kaz9t9

mark if the pet shop owner wanted to buy the whole clutch im sure he'd be suspcious

anyway the point is that most respectable uk breeders would want to know that their babies are going to a good homes, and that is not possible when any clueless tom dick or harry can buy them in a pet shop
Old 14-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #25
EJ
Adult

Everyone's entitled to an opinion... just like I'm greatful I can express mine on this list.

Many tortoise people don't realize that there is a seperate subculture of people who like to keep reptiles in general. We are called herpers. The two do not normally mix for whatever reason... no... not whatever reason... Turtle and tortoise people are nuts as a rule. This is another topic I can write a book on so I'll leave it at that.

The point is that many herpers do not want to deal with tortoise people for the above mentioned reason even though they like keeping and breeding tortoises themselves. You might think it is very uncommon in the UK for breeders to wholesale their clutches but I think it is as common as not.

Those shops that specialize in reptiles and amphibians are the ones most likely to have CB animals because herpers tend to do a good deal of networking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire_Ade
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ
There are many breeders who would rather sell an entire clutch to a shop all in one clip than to deal with the general public. So, contrary to popular belief there are shops that do sell CB animals.
Hi Ed,

I am not trying to undermine your opinions here but I think you will find any reputable UK breeder would not look at their hatchlings as job lot for the pet shop because they dont want to deal with the public.

There may be a few shops in the UK where UK CB animals are sold but from what this forum has experienced they are very few and far between, as you dont live in the UK really it is not fare to speculate what you consider to be right, I know the Tortoise Trust and The Tortoise Protection Group find this practice to be unreliable in respect of obtaining UK CB animals from these kinds of establishments and are actively discouraging the sale of tortoises from said places like Shelled Warriors is too.

Ade
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #26
EJ
Adult

I wanted to mention... respectable is a highly subjective term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz9t9
mark if the pet shop owner wanted to buy the whole clutch im sure he'd be suspcious

anyway the point is that most respectable uk breeders would want to know that their babies are going to a good homes, and that is not possible when any clueless tom dick or harry can buy them in a pet shop
and
Old 14-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #27
kaz9t9
Sub Adult

why are we nuts?

(made me giggle though)
Old 14-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #28
EJ
Adult

To put it in perspective...

When I moved to Georgia, the tortoises were the primary concern when finding a house. During that move I chose the route I did with the tortoises in mind so they would be safe. This weekend I made 2 trips of 250 miles and a cost of about $1100 USD to determine the sexes of some tortoises. I spend a couple of hours a day chatting tortoises and theen I spend a few hours taking care of tortoises. My life totally revolves around tortoises... do you really think that is normal?????? THEN I take care of the other reptiles, kids, wife and the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz9t9
why are we nuts?

(made me giggle though)
and
Old 14-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #29
kaz9t9
Sub Adult