Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 12-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #11
Nikki76
Incubating

Hi!

It's pure dried grass, and I get it from my local stables. You can get a massive sack of it for about £9.
Nikki76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #12
geordie mark
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to geordie mark

well Lenny/Lindi is running about and climbing allover his new enclosure here and we are all impressed with him/her especially considering the size ! we thought the refoots were babies bhut this little tearaway moves /RUNS !like athe hermanns but is only 1/5th the size ! ive pulled some gras out of our back lawn and laid it in for him mixed with some dandelion leaves that i have grown but he doesnt seem interested in that any recommendations on how when and what too feed
i know 30% weeds 70% grass what sort of grass ? just normal grass (garden) which ill give him or like sharp sort of grass where it has thick leaves that you can whistle with and as for weeds plants etc what sorts of them will all of these plants named in the appropriate section be alright too feed him ? and i will also put a little slice of cucmber every other day or so in too make sure he gets his nutrabol in him
pics will be up later if i can get my phone fixed otherwise it might be a while !
geordie mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #13
Jo666
Incubating

When did you get the tort from Mark? How are your poorly hermanns?
Jo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #14
geordie mark
Juvenile

hermanns are going fine turns out mine (splat) was the one with presumed shell rot ! he's had 4 injections now and hes stomping around brilliantly justr like when we first got him ! brothers has shell damage looks like a dog bit although we dont have one and the leopard came from a pet shop in the toon i know what people say about pet shops but these are just little babaies which he bought from a breeder he's only just recentley got them they are kept in viv's BUT he always leaves the doors open too allow air flow and reduce humidity and 2 really big air vents at the back honestly though ive never seen such a small tortoise ! about the size of an egg ! hes brilliant and my brothers getting one the night too
Old 13-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #15
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Petshop owners will tell you anything for a sale. They are still likely to be imported even if they are tiny babies

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #16
Jo666
Incubating

If its a pet shop in Newcastle, is it *******************? I so hope not, its the WORST reptile place in the area.

I seriously doubt they are captive bred, I don't know any leo breeders in the north east.....they will be wild caughts
Im sorry, but Im very surprised you've bought wc's from a pet shop after all the advice you would have read on here, its just supporting the wild caught trade.

Ask yourself this........why would any breeder sell their babies to a pet shop and let the shop make profit when the breeder could make 100% profit themselves. I dont know any breeder that would be happy about their babies being stuck in a tiny viv in a pet shop. A breeder also wants to know if their babies are going to the right home, with the right diet and the right care sheet and the right housing.

They probably would have been half the price from a geniune breeder too

Edited to remove the name for legal reasons by Ade please feel free to PM Mark and ask.
Jo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #17
geordie mark
Juvenile

dont know by the starred out bits what shop it is but judging by howmany stars ide say no
the fella we talk too who is i think the owner we have spoken too him loads and he really seems too know his stuff like they also recommended we take the tortoises too prescott or his son as they are good which we have had injections by both on mine... the leopards fine i am going too register him with the vet though he has got an older leopard which has had an infection and is curently ona course of anti biotics too
Old 14-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #18
EJ
Adult

If you check out the info in the post labled 'Leopard Tortoise' at the top I might give you some ideas on the care of your new tortoises.

As to them being CB, if they are out going and move about they are very most likely CB because small WC leopards are usually very shy. There are many breeders who would rather sell an entire clutch to a shop all in one clip than to deal with the general public. So, contrary to popular belief there are shops that do sell CB animals.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #19
geordie mark
Juvenile

yeah i totally believe they are captive bred like as the fellow is really trust worthy and cares about them they love too be out and about running allover the place and are not shy atall even if you do pick them up ! he's a good pet shop like knows his stuff about reptiles etc theres only 1 poor leopard left at the shop now like as me and my brother have the other 2 ! 8)
Old 14-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #20
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ
There are many breeders who would rather sell an entire clutch to a shop all in one clip than to deal with the general public. So, contrary to popular belief there are shops that do sell CB animals.
Hi Ed,

I am not trying to undermine your opinions here but I think you will find any reputable UK breeder would not look at their hatchlings as job lot for the pet shop because they dont want to deal with the public.

There may be a few shops in the UK where UK CB animals are sold but from what this forum has experienced they are very few and far between, as you dont live in the UK really it is not fare to speculate what you consider to be right, I know the Tortoise Trust and The Tortoise Protection Group find this practice to be unreliable in respect of obtaining UK CB animals from these kinds of establishments and are actively discouraging the sale of tortoises from said places like Shelled Warriors is too.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote