Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 13-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Bug
Egg

Default Which tortoise??

Hi,
I'm new on here and have not yet bought a tortoise - just gathering info!
My first problem is deciding which species to get - any suggestions? I want a species that can spend reasonable time indoors (I realise they need time outside but our great British weather isn't the best and I do want to see the little fella!). Mainly, I'd prefer a smaller tortoise so that I can provide the most space relative to size of tortoise. Been thinking hermanns, horsefields, spur-thigh?? Any suggestions or new ideas also welcome

Katherine
Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Merlin M
Adult

Well any are a good choice, but I think I am biased towards Horsfields.
Where abouts are you? There may be a breeder on here not far away
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Bug
Egg

Hi,
I'm just near Norwich!
Someone suggested a horsfield as they are a little smaller than hermanns and spur-thigh (also did a bit of research on their average sizes). They also suggested a dwarf hermanns but then he would be quite a bit more expensive, although I guess you have them a very long time!
Another thing is I'd really like quite an outgoing, friendly little tort but is that a species thing or an individual thing? Tbh, if its possible to judge when buying one, I'd go for personalility over species (as in, I wouldn't mind which species if he was friendly) but I'm guessing that may be impossible to know?
Old 14-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Daryn
Hatchling

I have 2 Ibera spur-thighed, mine are outside now and I live in the North East England.

Interested in why you want a species that will spend reasonable time in doors, any of them can provided you have the artificial lighting/conditions for them but nothing beats having them outside getting them natural UVs when they can. Mine stay outside and have the run of the garden although they do have a secure large coldframe that I lock them in at night with tube heater and basking lamps for them bad days.

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Bug
Egg

Wanted him indoors for some of the time so that I can watch/see/spend time with him. I will also provide an outdoor area where he can go when the weather is good. How can they spend so much time outdoors because I was told they needed a temp of 20-28 degrees - I'm a bit confused?!
Just wanted an idea of which species really.

Thanks, Katherine
Old 14-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Suze65
Adult

To be honest any med species should spend most if not all of the summer out side, with a good shelter for bad weather. And only come in for the winter if your not hibernating. Obviously your location will affect how much warm weather you get, e.g north or south. So I would be thinking outside enclosure most of the summer.

Also research the species and not personality cos they all have personality, it's an individual thing.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012

Last edited by Suze65; 14-09-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Bug
Egg

And they're quite fine outdoors, day and night? Only confused because the exotics vets I spoke to said the temp was really important to keep them over 20 degrees? When you're new to it it's hard to know whats best!
Also, I know diet is very important and I know what to feed (plants, weeds, etc) but what do you predominantly feed in winter when it's harder to grow plants/weeds/flowers for them? I know some things can be bought from the supermarket (rocket, leafy greens) but I understand that these should be fed in smaller quantities.
Old 14-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
Daryn
Hatchling

I have small coldframes around the garden that heat up great when the sun hits them. We all have our own ways of keeping them etc but for me at night temps can go down as far as 5c as long as its dry, day time they need warming up, best thing to buy is a spot thermometer to check them, you will have great little micro climates in the garden where the sun hits it, you would be really surprised.

A greenhouse is a great place to keep them or a large coldframe with an opening so they can come and go.

You are doing the right thing by asking before you get one, get everything set up first that's the way to go, read read and read ask as well that's the only way.

Take a look at where my tortes live on this link, its forever changing lol http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...=warming+house

Also have a look at this post, 7th one down (27), it shows the temps that can be achieved with these mini coldframes http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...t=68751&page=3

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
Bug
Egg

Had a look at your links daryn, your tort house is amazing!! That's certainly set the bar for me building mine! And thank you for the thread on temps, they have been really helpful for me as I'm learning everything at the moment!
Really appreciate the help
Old 15-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Bug
Egg

Thank you very much for the links daryn, they have been so helpful, I've spent absolutely ages looking at them all! Your enclosure is amazing and certainly given me some ideas
Really appreciate the help