Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Closed Thread

Old 28-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
dugy
Juvenile

exactly kimmy...

i think having one large torty can be just as difficult as large numbers of lil torties....

i do think that most people have researched their sulcatas before buying and those who haven't will soon realise what they have gotten in for and either make adjustments in their life to cater for the torty or even put them up for rehoming, which is rather unfortunate...

i can see this thread making some people reluctent to post in fear that they are set upon... but please people.. still post... i know there are more people on here that will support than scrutinise

xxx
Old 28-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
dugy
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara View Post
I have to agree I know of keepers who will not under any circumstances post on here and yes it is a shame, I have helped out a few people of late with sully's, as I myself am gaining knowledge all the time, but also have the contacts to find out the answers if I cannot answer them. But unfortunately this has to be done by pm's, otherwise you are bombarded with insults and silly sulcata tests.

Unfortunately though I do not think we will ever change those narrow minded beings.

I own sulcata's and am very proud of them, so much so, I do take these comments personally.

I had a new sully recently and never even posted any pic's this time, how sad is that.
get those pics up my love...

ill go medievil on anyone who wants to make sly comments!!!

x
Old 28-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
janeL
Sub Adult

Yeah come on let see the pics!!!

Hermanns THB 2:3:0
Algerian TGG 1.2.3
Ibera TGI 0.1.0[/CENTER]
Old 28-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #14
terrypin
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
I know of a few responsible Sully keepers who have all poo-pooed this 'test'. Some don't or won't post anything about them, and that could include good advice; as they feel they are setting themselves up to get jumped on. That seems to be happening alot on this forum of late, which is a shame as it's friendliness and the approachability of some of it's more experienced keepers has always in my eyes been one of it's strengths.
i agree i have always felt this was a safe place to be,without all the experts on species they never kept before.i have had a few comments about leopards before now (not here i might add) and i dont post their pictures as often as i used to.i was very passionate about my leopards and felt they were a wonderfull species to keep but since i hatched a few last winter i was surprised at all the negative responses so now i dont post on certain sites and on others i never post any references to my leopards.its such a shame because i really feel i have their diet and husbandry sorted now and they are simply thriving and growing so smoothly.sorry for that forgot my place for a moment.
terry
Old 28-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #15
dugy
Juvenile

i loved seeing pics of your leopards!!

get more up =]
Old 28-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
tartaruga amore
Sub Adult

i would like to know more about larger breeds, if you dont post then how can people make a considered choice
Old 28-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #17
EJ
Adult

These are my favorites...

and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 28-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #18
dugy
Juvenile

i imagined you looking different EJ

i love seeing pics of larger torts
Old 28-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #19
lisa
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Fletcher View Post
I first came across this site many years ago, but I just think that every now and again it should be dragged back for people to check through.......especially for those thinking of getting a sulcata in the UK!!
It makes a great read and really opens your eyes to what you can expect if your were to take on a sulcata.
Please check it out!!

http://www.turtlehomes.org/usa/test.shtml

http://harpoandfriends.homestead.com/Harpostory.html
This one is a diary of harpo the Sulcata........still think you want one?????
Dawn have you got any?

Old 28-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #20
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara View Post
I have to agree I know of keepers who will not under any circumstances post on here and yes it is a shame, I have helped out a few people of late with sully's, as I myself am gaining knowledge all the time, but also have the contacts to find out the answers if I cannot answer them. But unfortunately this has to be done by pm's, otherwise you are bombarded with insults and silly sulcata tests.

Unfortunately though I do not think we will ever change those narrow minded beings.

I own sulcata's and am very proud of them, so much so, I do take these comments personally.

I had a new sully recently and never even posted any pic's this time, how sad is that.
Sarah, get those pics up, this forum is for keepers of ALL species of tort, I would love to see your Sullys, and get that husband of yours to post a few of his babies again too

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
i agree i have always felt this was a safe place to be,without all the experts on species they never kept before.i have had a few comments about leopards before now (not here i might add) and i dont post their pictures as often as i used to.i was very passionate about my leopards and felt they were a wonderfull species to keep but since i hatched a few last winter i was surprised at all the negative responses so now i dont post on certain sites and on others i never post any references to my leopards.its such a shame because i really feel i have their diet and husbandry sorted now and they are simply thriving and growing so smoothly.sorry for that forgot my place for a moment.
terry
Terry, this place would be a poorer place without you and ALL of your torts. You have a fantastic reputation as a keeper and a breeder, please please please don't feel you cannot put your Leopard pics up. Your help and advice to other Leopard keepers is invaluable...not forgetting your Meds too of course
I too have forgotten my place tonight, but sometimes one has to speak out.