Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 05-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Question Basic certs and chip advice

Hi folks

I've totally avoided any involvement with chips and things up to now. But I've got a number of hermanni hermanni hatchlings and I can't keep them all. This subspecies is really quite small for hermanns so even after 18 months they are still tiny. But I need a plan!

My two females that have produced eggs has got proper certificates, one is a UK one and the other is a French certificate.

So if I want to offer some little ones for sale next year what do I need to do? Should I get the big females chipped first of all? Also these wee ones have got tiny legs - do they HAVE to get chipped to be sold?

The actual selling won't be easy unless I can find people in Scotland that want them. People in England would find the cost of coming to get them would make the tortoises seem very expensive once you factor in the travel.

Any thoughts and advice very welcome. Also if anyone thinks they might want to buy some Corsican hermanni hermanni in the spring or summer of 2017 you're welcome to contact me now. I'm not in a position to sell them at the moment because of the certs and chips issue and also I'd say they are too small to move about.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Hi Jonathan. You'll need to get the torts their certificates in order to sell them and before you can do that you'll need them chipped. That's my understanding of the law regarding the sale of Annex A torts.
I presume both mother and father torts have certificates as their numbers are needed for the hatchlings' A10 certificates.

I've only used the mini microchip and have got them from micro ID. Some vets have accounts with micro ID or other suppliers of nano chips, but if not you can place your order and pay for them directly with the company and they'll send them directly to your vets.

I'm sure there'll be interest in your beautiful hatchlings. I presume Das Baby and Rudyard will be staying with you?

Probably Gordon will give you the best advice what to do, but for such teeny legs I'd definitely recommend a mini chip.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Hi folks

I've totally avoided any involvement with chips and things up to now. But I've got a number of hermanni hermanni hatchlings and I can't keep them all. This subspecies is really quite small for hermanns so even after 18 months they are still tiny. But I need a plan!

My two females that have produced eggs has got proper certificates, one is a UK one and the other is a French certificate.

So if I want to offer some little ones for sale next year what do I need to do? Should I get the big females chipped first of all? Also these wee ones have got tiny legs - do they HAVE to get chipped to be sold?

The actual selling won't be easy unless I can find people in Scotland that want them. People in England would find the cost of coming to get them would make the tortoises seem very expensive once you factor in the travel.

Any thoughts and advice very welcome. Also if anyone thinks they might want to buy some Corsican hermanni hermanni in the spring or summer of 2017 you're welcome to contact me now. I'm not in a position to sell them at the moment because of the certs and chips issue and also I'd say they are too small to move about.

You need the egg laying females and the male chipped first. Making sure nano chips are used and not the normal tortoise microchips. As your spieces tend to be smaller than most. Although you might get away with the normal chips.
You then can get the hatchlings nano chipped.
You can't apply for Certs without adult male and female micro chipped first.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #4
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Thanks Emma and Sandy. I will see about getting the big torts chipped.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Hi Jonathan. You'll need to get the torts their certificates in order to sell them and before you can do that you'll need them chipped. That's my understanding of the law regarding the sale of Annex A torts.
I presume both mother and father torts have certificates as their numbers are needed for the hatchlings' A10 certificates.

I've only used the mini microchip and have got them from micro ID. Some vets have accounts with micro ID or other suppliers of nano chips, but if not you can place your order and pay for them directly with the company and they'll send them directly to your vets.

I'm sure there'll be interest in your beautiful hatchlings. I presume Das Baby and Rudyard will be staying with you?

Probably Gordon will give you the best advice what to do, but for such teeny legs I'd definitely recommend a mini chip.
As far as I'm aware Jonathan as long as the babies are under 60mm or cm not sure which one they don't need to be chipped to sell them.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:13 PM   #6
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
As far as I'm aware Jonathan as long as the babies are under 60mm or cm not sure which one they don't need to be chipped to sell them.
This is what I understand they can be sold unchipped under 60mm plastron length. Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Thanks Mary and Gordon for adding.

Would I be right in thinking that I need to get the big ones chipped because otherwise I wouldn't be able to get certificates for the babies?

I have the original certificates for the adults.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #8
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Thanks Mary and Gordon for adding.

Would I be right in thinking that I need to get the big ones chipped because otherwise I wouldn't be able to get certificates for the babies?

I have the original certificates for the adults.
Yes that's correct are the big ones papers in your name
Old 11-11-2016, 07:32 PM   #9
Stellanne
Hatchling

I don't like this chipping stuff......small legs and large pieces of metal x X X x hugs x X X x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #10
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
I don't like this chipping stuff......small legs and large pieces of metal x X X x hugs x X X x
The chip doesn't go in the leg it goes into the body cavity above the top of the leg.