Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 18-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
Jan W
Sub Adult

Default Call the Midwife! Help.....

Well I am in shock! After coming out of hibernation this morning and warming nicely, then bath late morning, Beatrice appeared to be very constipated around 1pm. There before my eyes I watched her 'deliver' an egg. I was so amazed I filmed it on my husbands phone and took many snaps. (the whole phone stopped working and i thought I had damaged it under the heat lamp)!

Whilst panicking over the phone I turned back to see a second egg. She then fell asleep looking exhausted so I decided to leave her in peace and when I went back 10 mins later a third. She then started covering them over, whereas Bertie came over and started uncovering them. Sadly did not get this on film. What is this all about? Anyway, she then took herself off to bed, leaving Bertie laying on one and the other two partially covered.

She laid 2 eggs last year for the first time but weeks apart and nothing happened, but then I did not wish to do anything. She certainly did not cover them last year.

She has been in hibernation for 8 weeks. What does this mean for the eggs? Is it usual to lay 3 at once? If I had checked her tail end more carefully would I have seen anything and if so should I have woken her up?

I have to say it was an amazing experience. She made a few noises and also put her leg up on the outer water container to give her some oomph. It was like watching a baby's head at the moment of crowning. Surreal! Bertie was there close by and although his head and eyes were in her direction, he didn't move and may have been oblivious.

So what do I do now? I was not prepared for this. I do not have an incubator. Not sure I wanted to breed. Will mother nature take her course? Should I help a little?

Jan
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Well done with the eggs I would take them out and put them somewhere safe they will be fine for a few days at room temperature but mark the top and don't turn them.
If you want to incubate them there might be someone near you with an incubator if not I will, we could meet up half way if it helps.
As for seeing the eggs you can't so don't worry that you have missed anything as she has laid give her a nice warm soak again and put her back in the warm.

Last edited by Gordon; 18-01-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
Suze65
Adult

Oh what a surprise ! Lovely looking eggs, I hope they are good ones.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

That's a real surprise for you as soon as she came out of hibernation, Jan.
I agree it's quite something to watch them lay.
I think it's up to you whether you try the eggs in an incubator or not, but Gordon's advice is excellent.
I found that Tabitha was ravenous after laying and enjoyed a nice soak in the bath and gobbled up her food, so I'm sure Beatrice will love some TLC.
I presume she and Bertie are housed together and so there's a good chance they could be fertile?
Do you have the room to have potentially three more tortoises? Would you consider selling hatchlings or if not are you prepared to destroy the eggs? These are the questions you need to ponder over. I'm sure you'll come to a decision you're happy with and good luck! After such an eventful day I hope you have a nice relaxing evening.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #5
markbigears
Incubating

Amazing pictures Jan, have you reared any from eggs before?
Old 18-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #6
vikki
Hatched

Wow - brilliant pictures- good luck with whatever you decide to do
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 10:41 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

crikey, Jan how fantastic. you can make a temp incubator out of an old polystyrene box then just keep near the boiler , somewhere warm. A friend of mine hatched hers in the heating cupboard. fantastic photographs well done for sharing. let us know how you get on won't you. tortoises can keep hold of their eggs till they feel secure enough to hatch sometimes ie in drought times etc. CB
Old 19-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #8
Jan W
Sub Adult

Thank you so much for your posts.

I think it must have taken a lot out of Beatrice as my husband says she has been quieter than usual and not eating much, which is very unusual for her. She had a nice warm bath again today.

I have followed Gordon's advice and removed the eggs, marked them and they are sitting in a container on coir with a tea towel cover by the Rayburn. So lovely and warm.

We are still debating what to do! I have been at work all day so need to have a good think.

Gordon, thank you so much for your kind offer. I will probably email you separately to find out what part of Wiltshire you live in.

I would love to have hatchlings but had not planned on this, as I thought the most likely scenario was to take a rescue tort. Bit stupid of me really when I have a male and female! Yes Bertie is a very lively and active male. They do seem to get on well ie move towards each other, lie by each other at times. Although both can be pushy too.
Old 19-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #9
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbigears View Post
Amazing pictures Jan, have you reared any from eggs before?
Mark
Meant to say - no I have never reared any before. Hence the shock of it all!
Old 19-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

Jan don't let them dry out, keep humidity up. someone more experience than me can tell you but it needs to be pretty high with eggs. about 31 degrees 71 % humidity. CB