Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 23-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Wyannis
Hatchling

Question Lots of Questions!

Hello eveyone. I am looking for some advice. I am looking to get a set up for a hermanns tortoise and I think I am going to go for a large indoor rabbit cage (as I have kittens). The Ferplast 120 is looking good as it measures 118 x 58.5 x 47cms.

I would like to get a combined lamp and am looking at the 100w mega ray. Am I right in thinking this is just a bulb? So I would need a holder for it, maybe the exo terra glow light porcelin clamp lamp? or can anyone recomend something similar?

My other concern is would I be able to suspend this sort of light from the top of the cage? It is 47cm high. Or would this be two low and I would need a stand which would then be above the metal of the cage?

Sorry for so many questions but I am getting myself a little bit confused thinking about all the options and don't want to buy something to find its not what I need. Hopefully some of you experts can help me x
Wyannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
jumblebee
Egg

Hi Wyannis

I've got the Ferplast 100 - same height but not quite as long for my horsfield hatchling.

I have separate heat lamp and UV so can't help with the question about the mega ray, but I can give some advice on attaching to the cage.

In short... You will need to set up for the tortoise completely before you get him or her and play around with the lamp height to get the right temperature underneath.

I have the same Exo Terra lamp for my heat lamp and originally used the hanger part to attach it to the roof of the cage but found the temperature was getting far too hot. I then took it out of the cage and had it resting on the bars - it didn't affect the wire at all, I was a bit scared that it might make the cage itself hot and cause the plastic coating to melt but it didn't. However, having it up this high meant that the temperature under the heat lamp wasn't high enough!

So in the end I cut out one of the cage wires. The holder part of the lamp has 2 metal bits sticking out from either side which now rest on the top of the cage to hold the lamp in place nicely, I wrapped some garden wire around the actual holder, which lies flat along the top of the cage, just to make sure that the whole lamp wouldn't fall through - although that would be almost impossible.

If you want to see a photo I'll upload one for you, as I'm pretty sure I didn't do a good job of describing it! But as I said, it'll be impossible to tell what height you need it til you get it set up. I'm sure others will be along with their solutions soon
jumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Suze65
Adult

I use indoor rabbit cages for my young torts, I find the wire top ideal for hanging a uv tube from and I use a clip spot light with an ordinary 60w bulb, this clips on to the wire very well. Got the spots off Amazon . I find using a clip spot, it's easy to move it up and down to adjust temps.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Wyannis
Hatchling

Wow thanks for your brilliant reply! That is exactly what I was worried about with the height of the lamp. I would love to see a picture if you can manage it.
Do you think your arrangement with the wire would be kitten proof? I would be worried that I could come home to the lamp knocked over and the house burning down!
Old 23-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
jumblebee
Egg

No problem

I'll put a picture on tomorrow for you - I've been meaning to upload some pictures anyway!

I think it would be kitten proof, they would need to twist the whole unit around for it to fall through the gap in the first place, the garden wire around the hanger makes that almost impossible. I've just had a good go at dislodging it myself and couldn't do it, so pretty sure a couple of hyperactive kittens couldn't knock it over!
jumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Wyannis
Hatchling

Thanks Suze
Maybe separate lights would be better for a cage after all. I thought a combined lamp would be easier, but maybe not.
Old 24-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyannis View Post
Thanks Suze
Maybe separate lights would be better for a cage after all. I thought a combined lamp would be easier, but maybe not.
Have a look at the new Arcadia D3+ t5 flood light for your uv, or the t5 canopy lights. The t5 canopy lights are very good and only have one cable. You can then use a halogen spot lamp for the heat source.
I can send you photos of how I have got them hanging on my indoor tables to give you an idea.
I have tried most of the lights on the market this year and the combined are good, but the uv levels drop considerably over the months, as for the T5 they are still reading the same after six months.
Hope this helps
Andy
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
harripete
Incubating

I used a large rabbit cage for my tort when he went to the inlaws for a week.
I just constructed a timber stand for my combined bulb. I'll see if I have a picture, however as most have suggested perhaps separate uv etc maybe better longterm.
harripete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
harripete
Incubating

harripete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Wyannis
Hatchling

Thanks for the picture. Did the stand you made hold the lamp above the bars of the cage? If so, was this warm enough? Maybe the hight of your cage is a little lower?