Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 27-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
emma_mcraf
Adult

Smile New to torts

Hi everyone. I've kind of been thrown in at the deep end as I've been asked to take in a Hermann male tortoise as an eldery family friend has suffered a stroke and is unable to care for it anymore. He was given it as a gift from another elderly lady and has only had it for a few years. I have no idea how old the tortoise is. I've always wanted one and am delighted that he has entrusted my family with it as he knows we'll love and care for it. We've decided to call him Theo!
We are collecting Theo on Thursday (2 days time) and are desperately hoping to put together his enclosures before then. I've spent all the day researching online and found many sites recommend completely different things for Hermanns. I've concluded that he'll need an outside enclosure with solid walls, substrate made from a mixture of topsoil and playsand, around a 50:50 mix, with a covered area, different gradients and a few pebbles, rocks, sunken water tray, etc. Again, the same for an indoor enclosure but with a UVB lamp and basking lamp. Is that right???
My query is that we'll have a mesh lid on the outside enclosure to keep predators away but what happens if it rains? Do we need to have another cover to keep the substrate dry too?
I've researched Theo's diet and I see Dandelions, honeysuckle flowers, clover, etc ard fine with occassional teeny bits of certain fruit and a cuttlefish for calcium. Should I also get D3 supplements from the pet shop?
If anyone else can recommend anything else I need to get or correct me on anything I've mentioned, your comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks x
emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Emma - congratulations on getting Theo! I can promise you that the advice and suggestions given on this forum is as good or better than you will get anywhere. And I am not one of the people that runs the site or anything like that, just a keen Hermann keeper that keeps an eye on all the relevant internet sites over the past few years.

I don't see any problems with anything in your post. Although you'l soon find that there is a whole lot of other things to learn about over the next few months. For outdoors accommodation the tortoise must have access to a dry and safe place when they choose to go to it but they don't need constant protection from the weather. Its good for them to be outdoors as much as possible and in the summer some hermanns will choose to go out in rain showers. I think the mesh cover is a good idea mainly because of bird attacks. Some keepers with larger animals find they don't need this as its the smaller tortoises that are most at risk.

I hope you'll stay on and let us know how things go with Theo!!

I think most keepers here do use Netrobal or another supplment for D3 and calcium.
Old 28-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
yuna1971
Adult

You have done very well Emma with your research. Jon O has given some good advice too. Think about an indoor enclosure - maybe not just yet but bear in mind when autumn draws in and the evenings get darker and colder, a nice indoor enclosure will be necessary. But in due time, you can post again about that and we can guide you through it.
But may I say well done to you for taking in Theo and for being a very responsible and good owner. You will come to love Theo and it really is a joy once you get the hang of things - ask all you can in here. Dont go with what the pet shops say - mostly bad advice and it will just confuse you. xx
Good luck and come back soon on here with how you get on. Also..finally - welcome to SW!! Good to meet you xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

Thanks for your confirmation that I seem to be doing things correctly. I have also noted that there'll be shelter in the outdoor enclosure for Theo and some hiding places in plant pots, etc.
If we have heavy rain and the substrate gets wet, it's still fine for Theo to go out in it then? I wasn't sure as I've read Mediterranean tortoises shouldn't be allowed to get damp underneath. I'll make sure we have drainage holes in the enclosure so water can't build up.
I've added Nutrobal to my shopping list, thank you, and I will be a regular visitor to the site so will let you know how Theo gets on. I think he's been kept outside on grass before, so hopefully he'll approve of his new home!

My other question is whether he'd have been chipped and if it's okay for him to be given to us as a gift without us registering him ourselves. I think the lady owner before our family friend just gave Theo to him, so any registrations would be out of date and he'd have passed ownership a couple of times. I have no idea if that lady was the original owner either as she has passed away. I just want to ensure everything is above board.

I've read that it's almost impossible to age a tortoise so we've no idea how old he is, though I don't presume that to be a problem.

Anyway, thanks for replying!
Old 28-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

Thanks so much Rachel! It's great to have such quick responses to my posts. I've got the indoor enclosure in hand too. I did briefly mention it in my first post but I don't think it really stood out as it was quite a long post!! My hubby will make one as he likes a project. We're just looking at where to buy angled ES fittings for the bulbs. I see B7Q do the top soil and play sand so we'll pop by there tomorrow.
Great to meet you guys and I really look forward to chatting further. x
Old 28-07-2010, 02:46 AM   #6
TortBabe
Adult

Hiya and welcome, congrats on acquiring Theo Would love to see some pictures of him
Old 28-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

hello. I'm not sure what size your tort is but I see you mention drainage holes in your outdoor enclosure so I take it it's some kind of container, wooden or otherwise and your tort is a very small one? Most people just have a section of their garden penned off for a tort to roam in with safe/edible plants planted with just the garden soil as the substrate. If your tort is very small you may prefer to keep it in a container of some sort but be aware of the risk of flooding in it if it has a floor, even with drainage holes it can fill up really quickly with wet soil having clogged the holes. Another danger is over heating if the tort can't escape into the shade or bury itself in the soil.

Many people (or perhaps even most people) don't bother with the sand in the soil and just use topsoil alone. People find that the sand irritates the eyes of the tort.

Regarding wet conditions, if it's a wet and warm day it's fine but not wet + cold. Continual days of wet are not good either and they are best inside in conditions like that
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
herriotfan
Hatchling

Hi
Welcome to the forum.
It's really good that you care so much and are doing lots of research. Theo is going to have a super home with you.
You've already been given lots of very good advise but one thing I would add is to put some mesh wire, like chicken wire, under your outdoor enclosure to stop Theo from digging his way out! Or anything nasty digging it's way in.
It's great to meet you and Theo. Some photos would be great when you get a minute!!
Dogs (Ellie & Alfie)
Parrot (Peanut)
Crested Gecko (Echo)
Electric Blue Day Gecko (Bobby Blue)
Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie, Twiglet & Percy)

herriotfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
emma_mcraf
Adult

Thanks for the advice everyone. Theo is about 12cm long, so not too teeny but I'd imagine not fully grown either. The garden isn't terribly huge and is split into decking areas, patio areas and a small lawn which is mainly taken up with runs and hutches for our Netherland Dwarf rabbit, Bubbles, and our guineas Popcorn and Cookie, plus a swing and slide for the children. Hence why we are planning to build an enclosure so Theo has his own completely safe area to roam about in. It'll be made of wood with a wooden shelter for him to hide in or go to for shade and shelter and I've collected some large pebbles, a couple of rocks, a flower pot, etc for some interesting contours for him to explore. I've bought him a shallow water dish and have tiles for his food to go on. The enclosure will have a mesh roof we can fix down to keep him safe when he's outside. I'll try and get some plants over the weekend to plant in his enclosure so he has shaded areas and treats to munch on. Am I right that lavender and campanula are okay for him?
I've also bought some mediterranean mixed weed seeds to grow for him. I've always been good at gardening and pulled up the dandelions when I see them, so I've got to re-educate myself to leave them there!! We have lots of honeysuckle in the garden and I've read they enjoy honeysuckle flowers too. What other food do you all recommend?

I'll try and get a couple of photos of Theo today and then once his enclosures are ready I'll take some more to show you what we've done and I'll appreciate any constructive criticism!

Thanks again everyone! x
Old 28-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
clanks76
Hatched

Hi and welcome xx

0.0.2 TGI - Sandra & Sadie
clanks76 is offline   Reply With Quote