Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 18-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
indian star
Incubating

Default Indian Star Newbie

Hi Everyone,
Done my research and wanted to know your comments (good or bad)

Going to purchase an Indian Star from Marcus Langford soon, know I need a tortoise table thinking of 4ft by 3ft with heat lamp/uv combined. Need 70% soil/30% sand mix. Pebbles, wood and slate and daily baths. Need some form of night heating from what Ive read.

GREAT forum for newbies like me I am an ex african chiclid keeper.
indian star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
lisalass
Hatched

hi and welcome xx
lisalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
andy1
Hatched

Welcome

Night heat can be done with either a ceramic heater or an infra red bulb, both obviously need to be connected to a suitable thermostat,

Another option is to provide a sheltered part of the table that can be heated easily with a heatmat attached to the roof and again controlled by a thermostat. This will allow you certainty that your new baby will be kept warm and free from draugths even if the house temps drop overnight.

i use plain topsoil, as it already has some sand in it.

Regards Andy

3 groups of adult indian stars

2 breeding groups . , babies expected from august 2012onwardslewis.67@googlemail.com
andy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
littlestar
Hatched

hi newbie have you read Marcus info sheet? lots of info and Andy does a sheet as well.

got my 2 off Marcus a year ago both settled in fine keep mine in a viv with a sliding roof. have a D3 strip light and infra red for heat during the day and an infra red also for night time both controled by seperate thermostats.

If you are keeping them in a table then then i would recommend the room temp should be above 20 to stop them getting cold/chilled.

buy a digital themometer/hydrometer for temp and humidity not one of those round dial types.
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
boothy
Egg

Hi
I have two Indies from Marcus. He offers a very good tried and tested initial set up. I have followed his advice and have used his setup for nearly a year now with great results. Both torts are doing extremely well and have done since the beginning.

Stephen
boothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
indian star
Incubating

thanks for all your guidance, I have two comments (1) I though vivs were bad for tortoises (2) my stars would be in an unheated conservatory so which would be the best for heat a ceramic heater, infra red or heat mat? Presume the top soil is from somewhere like B&Q? (sterilsed)
Old 20-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
indian star
Incubating

Many thanks for valuable comments, I have read that vivs are BAD for tortoises! I will locate the tortoises in an unhrayed conservatory hence the reason for reliable heat so which would be the best, a heat mat, infa red or ceramic given running costs. great to hear from you
Old 20-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
indian star
Incubating

Many thanks for all your replies

In terms of the viv I always thought they were a NO NO for torts!

The star will be located in an unheated conservatory so I need something powerful but economic. So what do you recomend? infa red, heat mat or ceramic heater
Old 20-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
andy1
Hatched

In short i wouldnt put them in a unheated conservatory.

The ambient would be to cold. If for any reason the power went off you would have dead baby stars .

Andy

3 groups of adult indian stars

2 breeding groups . , babies expected from august 2012onwardslewis.67@googlemail.com
andy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #10
indian star
Incubating

Thanks for that Andy, just to explain the conservatory has a radiator but at night, unless exceptionally cold, the heating is turned off. Would an electric radiator that you would use in a conservatory work for nightime use?