Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 27-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
Gaelle
Incubating

Default Lonely?

I know this subject might have been treated before, but I just wanted to know whether tortoises can get lonely? I know they tend to live alone in the wild and only come across other tortoises every now and again... What are your thoughts? Should they always be kept in groups in captivity? Is it cruel or sad to keep one tort on its own?
Thanks guys!
Gaelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
boothy
Egg

Default Lonely

i had wondered about this question. I had one star then bought a second who was few months younger. They certainly seem very happy, choosing to spending most of their time together. I find that it also helps in feeding, one feeding encourages the other to get stuck in.

Stephen
boothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelle View Post
I know this subject might have been treated before, but I just wanted to know whether tortoises can get lonely? I know they tend to live alone in the wild and only come across other tortoises every now and again... What are your thoughts? Should they always be kept in groups in captivity? Is it cruel or sad to keep one tort on its own?
Thanks guys!
in the wild they do live alone but cross paths with other tortoise's quite often , my opinion is they seem more active when kept in a group, they seem to interact with each other in many ways.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
sky
Adult

Mine seem to thrive being together!!!
1 grumpy husband
sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
clanks76
Hatched

Think i'm definately going to get Sandra a brother or sister. Just the thought of keeping them apart for so long is awful. Can you just sub divide the same house or should you keep them in totally seperate houses?

0.0.2 TGI - Sandra & Sadie
clanks76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

my hatchlings certainly seem to like each other's company, they all sleep in a heap and generally react to each other but you always have to remember that they are babies and don't have the sexual urges of adults. You always have to be prepared that you might have to keep them apart when they get to their 'teens' and certainly as adults so if you don't have the space and don't want to maybe have to rehome one then stick with the one.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
EJ
Adult

It's a reptile... I really don't think there is an actual 'knowing' of a mate. That would fall under the heading of emotions which I really don't think a reptile has.

I personally believe that the interaction of more than one animal does add stimulation and activity which is usually a good thing but I really don't think that a lone tortoise gives a crap one way or the other.

While many tortoises do live alone in the wild there are many that do not and tend to congregate in groups... Redfoots, Aldabras and Galaps are some that come to mind. Water turtles are another chelonian which tend to hang out in groups on occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelle View Post
Thanks guys!
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care

Last edited by EJ; 27-08-2010 at 05:22 PM.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Star
Sub Adult

I have six torts, the first two I bought together and they don't leave each others side (I have had them for a LONG time now).

The others I have re-homed. I found that most of the others were on their own, but since joining my group, they have paired up and hang out together (sounds wired, but the do).

The two younger ones hang out together, and the other two that were brought up on their own, have paired up. They all get on very well, but they also seem to enjoy being with their partners.
X
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
TortBabe
Adult

I have a little horsefield who is alone, and he doesn't seem bothered about it
Old 27-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
Star
Sub Adult

Some tortoise owners here keep one tortoise and they seem thrive alone.

x
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote