Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 23-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
Jan W
Sub Adult

Default Hibernation - how far do they burrow?

This morning checked on Bertie in the hibernation chamber and no sign of him. Panic.... I felt across the top of the substrate and cannot feel a bump. Poked my finger in a few places and nothing.

I do not want to disturb him unnecessarily, particularly as he has only just submerged as yesterday part buried under small towel.

Previously they always lay on top of the substrate buried down a little, but shells definitely visible with a small towel covering them. I always carried out weekly checks.

Do they disappear like this?

Do I try and find him at some point to check on him?

Beatrice is still in wind down.

Thank you
Old 23-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
This morning checked on Bertie in the hibernation chamber and no sign of him. Panic.... I felt across the top of the substrate and cannot feel a bump. Poked my finger in a few places and nothing.

I do not want to disturb him unnecessarily, particularly as he has only just submerged as yesterday part buried under small towel.

Previously they always lay on top of the substrate buried down a little, but shells definitely visible with a small towel covering them. I always carried out weekly checks.

Do they disappear like this?

Do I try and find him at some point to check on him?

Beatrice is still in wind down.

Thank you
Yes they do just go down:0)
One of my females has gone down in my GH, and I know where she is as the soil is disturbed, but I cant see any sign of the shell:0)
She is usually the firs to go down.
I dont check mine as such, I pick them up around the time temps start to drop, if they feel weighty then thats fine.
I watch their behaviour in the months before, to make sure all is well.
Once down, I leave them alone:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #3
Jan W
Sub Adult

Thank you Sandy.

I feel quite relieved.

I'm driving my poor husband mad! Apparently I have told him how excited I am to be able to let them follow their natural instincts, but he says I am constantly then thinking about them.....
Old 23-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
Thank you Sandy.

I feel quite relieved.

I'm driving my poor husband mad! Apparently I have told him how excited I am to be able to let them follow their natural instincts, but he says I am constantly then thinking about them.....
Its less stressful once you have a couple of years under your belt:0)
Its also because of what you read, I have learnt to read my tortoises, rather than some of the suspect advice given:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 05:06 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

I think they know what they are doing , better than we do. So I think you can safely leave them to it. And just check in weekly, but don't dig them up.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Jan , I would just make sure they will be completely dry and freeze free if they dig down. This is Daisy, she is well over 20 years old and ive had her since a baby rescue ,She came out of the Greenhouse to dig down - so did most of my 8 girlies but Daisy dug right down and at first I couldn't see her as most go under the pots, it was only because she started digging the dirty soil and Olive tree roots that they came to the surface and it was easier to see where. they do this occasionally but never had it so near to hibernation. Horsfields can dig 6 feet odd - I have chicken wire through out the entire enclosure to be on the safe side, but just be very aware they are prolific diggers ! and love it ! (most of them), Most of mine put on weight during hibernation re the natural air and moisture, I would not let Daisy stay there because its not so sheltered as other places. Shingle is a brilliant substrate for Horsfields. CB

Old 23-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #7
Jan W
Sub Adult

Thank you everyone.

CB - I have put topsoil/sand mixture in the hibernating chamber about seven inches deep. This has all been dried out in the Aga. The wood base has an ecotherm layer of about 4" and ecotherm round the outside base (the new style of roof insulation). The top and sides are covered in bubble wrap. I have a thermometer in there, but plan to buy a digital thermometer this week with some heat to come on if there is a danger of freezing.

I have heard the long range forecast is a severe winter.
Old 23-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

sounds great , apart from the forecast ! not heard that yet - up in double figures all next week !

You have such a fabulous set up Jan, us Horsfield owners are jealous !! The only observation I would make it if you can go bigger than 7 inches then take it ! If they are under and cant see shell they will love it. The soil should keep them warm as natural earth will keep the warmth, and moisture so earth wont suck the moisture out the Tortoise either. CNB
Old 04-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #9
Stellanne
Hatchling

I do as Sandy says..... Teela has been in the soil since October 3rd..... I know where she is and she is about four inches below the surface. My enclosures are 3ft deep so plenty to go at.
Years ago my torts hibernated very successfully in the garden.....but at the time it was a very sheltered garden. It was very noticeable that in a really cold winter they dug very deeply into the soil. In mild winters you could just see their shells. The point I am making the torts do what they have to do naturally x X X x hugs x X x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:02 PM   #10
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
I do as Sandy says..... Teela has been in the soil since October 3rd..... I know where she is and she is about four inches below the surface. My enclosures are 3ft deep so plenty to go at.
Years ago my torts hibernated very successfully in the garden.....but at the time it was a very sheltered garden. It was very noticeable that in a really cold winter they dug very deeply into the soil. In mild winters you could just see their shells. The point I am making the torts do what they have to do naturally x X X x hugs x X x
Thank you!

On another thread I reported that Bertie got up again as it got warmer! Pleased to say getting ready to go down again.