Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
Jan W
Sub Adult

Default Question: tortoises and the rain

My male tort happily lies out in the rain. It can be torrential and all he has done is hugged himself into the side of the outdoor pen. He has access to 3 covered areas outside and can move inside too. Plugs the plants are growing that he could get some shelter from.

I go out, dry him off and move him and he is quite happy wherever I put him. He doesn't move out of the covered area I move him to unless the sun comes out.

I am obviously concerned about him being damp, but am I fussing?
Old 19-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
My male tort happily lies out in the rain. It can be torrential and all he has done is hugged himself into the side of the outdoor pen. He has access to 3 covered areas outside and can move inside too. Plugs the plants are growing that he could get some shelter from.

I go out, dry him off and move him and he is quite happy wherever I put him. He doesn't move out of the covered area I move him to unless the sun comes out.

I am obviously concerned about him being damp, but am I fussing?
Lol you probably are fussing, but for good reasons.
If it is raining and its turned colder, then maybe he has got cold and cant/wont move.
I actually find my tortoises know if its going to rain, and will go back into the GH, something like 30-40 mins before it actually rains. But they do get caught out now and again.
Male tortoises seem to be able to tolerate colder temps than females in my experience.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #3
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
If it is raining and its turned colder, then maybe he has got cold and cant/wont move.
I actually find my tortoises know if its going to rain, and will go back into the GH, something like 30-40 mins before it actually rains. But they do get caught out now and again.
Male tortoises seem to be able to tolerate colder temps than females in my experience.
Thanks Sandy
I will continue to move him and hope that he learns to move himself eventually.

This weather is such a problem and I can't believe the change in temperatures from one hour to the next. Hopefully the hot summer will be back again soon.
Old 19-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #4
Suze65
Adult

If it warm summer rain, I leave them, they seem to like it. But if it's cold spring rain, I fuss to and move them to a sheltered place and dry them. You're allowed to fuss 😊

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
I said that today Sandy ! my lot started to go indoors and I thought there must be rain due and bobs your uncle 40 mins later !!!
Jan - I have one Horsfield does the same and even when moving him back inside he will go out again. Today I relented and just placed some plastic over him so win win situation for both of us, CB
Old 20-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #6
Jan W
Sub Adult

Thank you Sandy, Suze and CB.

He hasn't ventured out today, but seems to go out if dry but then not bother to move when it rains.

I have some old conservatory roofing, so I could make a temporary shelter I can put over him. Will try that next time.
Old 20-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

I must admit I get more concerned approaching autumn and I do lock them within a covered area if they have the silly mentality, CB
Old 27-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I've seen mine go out in the rain deliberately, for whatever reason I don't know.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote