Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 02-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
boothy
Egg

Default Drainage layer

Thinking about humidity, has anyone experimented using a drainage sub level to maintain humidity levels? Interested in your thoughts. Stephen
boothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

hadn't thought about it but maybe it's an idea
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
boothy
Egg

There is clay based Substance called hydro drain which with holds water. The idea is that you place a "fleece" that allows water to seep through but not the substrate. Almost seems to good to be true. My concern would be damp + warm = bacteria. But it is used for vivs.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothy View Post
There is clay based Substance called hydro drain which with holds water. The idea is that you place a "fleece" that allows water to seep through but not the substrate. Almost seems to good to be true. My concern would be damp + warm = bacteria. But it is used for vivs.
We had a similar product at work called Aquasorb baked clay pellet's that claimed to, soak in water and release it in dry weather.
Thinking on a layer of crushed Common brick's would have a similar effect.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
boothy
Egg

Did the stuff at work do the job?
Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Did the stuff at work do the job?
Yes it did for a while about 4 years, then it needed replenishing, as these were small clay beads, this was on a golf green. I still think a layer of broken bricks like a (we call them common's) or london brick would have a similar effect. Take one dry and place in a bucket of water after a few hours it is soaked all the way through, and takes hours to dry out again.
Other option is to rig a garden irrigation system like the auto greenhouse ones, for a spray humidity they have become cheaper now.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
boothy
Egg

I have given that some thought. I am just about to put my torts into larger housing so i will probably splash out on the new heating and lighting systems first. Thanks for your thoughts Paul.
Stephen
Old 05-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
I have given that some thought. I am just about to put my torts into larger housing so i will probably splash out on the new heating and lighting systems first. Thanks for your thoughts Paul.
Stephen
I thought we were talking about outside enclosures lol, indoors the clay beads would have to be seperated some how from the substrate layer, can't thing how, but it would act like a sump for water.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
boothy
Egg

Thanks Paul. I'll just keep experimenting. Incidentlly you are just over the water from me. I live in market Rasen Stephen
Old 07-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #10
Geochelonian
Egg

I sort of use a drainage layer for my Red-foots in a 48" x 20" habitat with a couple inches of cypress mulch overall. At the bottom of the habitat, I have some hardware mesh with some waterproof heating rope wire-tied to it (http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Appl...ble-Heat-Ropes).

I water the substrate, it settles to the heated layer, heats up and spreads the heat evenly while the heated water also generates humidity from the bottom. The heat 'supercharges' the humidity- the habitat's walls are usually fogged over and I need to add about 1.5 liters a day to keep it 'charged'.

When I had a previous habitat without the heating rope, it did not produce humidity nearly as well here in Omaha Nebraska, USA