Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 05-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
indian star
Incubating

Default Please Comment

Hi,

just wanted your expert views on my set up.

I have a 2 year old male Indian Star housed in a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft viv (don't faint).

My temps in basking area is 32c and cool end 25c.

Have 10% uvb strip light and infa red buld for heat.

Substrate is 50% Orchid bark (2" depth) 20% cobbles/slate and 30% top soil (in basking area)

Feed once a day (size of shell amount) and bath 5 days out of 7.

Finally, clean out every 6 weeks.

So gang good or bad comments would be welcome.
indian star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
boothy
Egg

I'm no expert but it seems good to me. Do you mist your indian? And what do you do to keep the humidity levels? I am just about to set up a similar size setup for my 2 stars, what do you use to maintain temps? Many questions but I am always interested in other indie setups. Stephen
boothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
indian star
Incubating

Indians generally prefer low humidty, but as he is in a viv I mist him always when bathing. He used to get stressed when bathing but he's fine now and poo's and wee's regular. I dont mist the rocks etc... as i have read due to the heat levels the water sprayed disappears instantly, in other words waste of time. I am in the process of buying a thermostat to regulate my infa red bulb. Forgot to mention the viv has 2 vents at the bottom and 3 at the top, I have removed the plastic grills for extra circulation.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I've no idea about stars but Stells keeps them so will know if it's okay
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Torterra
Sub Adult

First, i am not expert, keeping Indian Star for just under year, but your setup sounds great. How many hiding spots do you have for your Star? Mine spend all time hiding when it is not up to eating.
FOr humidity I have a ceramic pot with chipped side ( I file the sharp edge), I soak pot in a bowl of hot water until it cant take any more and put it on the table, so it is my humid spot. Also I put some sphagnim moss inside the pot to keep moisture for longer. Recently I moved it closer to ceramic heater so the pot stay warm, in Summer I will move it further away from hot spot.
She used to hide inside but no longer, maybe I dont notice when she is in.

I was lucky to get this pot free from garden centre it was a broken and I asked if I can have it free.
Also I have timothy hay in corners she spent lots of time under the hay.

She does it very naturally so I think it is what they do in nature- staying still in safe spot between meals.
Other than that I think vivariums give you more peace of mind, but I dont know for sure.
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
indian star
Incubating

thanks for your response, from only what i have read stars are not big fans of humidty and thats why in my humble view bathing is the best way to rehydrate. I have two terracotta pots one in the cool end with orchid bark and the other one is , yes youve guessed it is in the warm end with top soil and readi grass to keep him nice and snugly.
I am in no way an expert that's why I thank you for your comments so I can learn how to be a ninja
Old 09-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
littlestar
Hatched

your set up sounds just fine you could try cypress mulch as a hide/bedding (much better than hay/grass)can spray it and it keeps the humidity levels up my 2 bury themselves in it.

Stars come from india/sri lanka were its dry during the day (most of the time ) and wet at night (more humidity) therfore levels should be higher at night. thatd when i spry mine especially the cypress mulch.

Last edited by littlestar; 09-02-2011 at 09:55 PM.
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
indian star
Incubating

never used cypress mulch Ive heard of a bath sponges soaked and attached to a terracotta pot has worked will give it a go
Old 16-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
knottyedge
Hatchling

Hey been reading this thread with interest as im just about to get my 1st tortoise (an Indian star) so have been busy getting my set up ready for his arrival next week
I have gone for the vivexotic 36" x18" x18" which should be ok for the little fella for a yr or so then i will be getting him a bigger home
I have added in 4 extra 80mm vents to increase the air flow so there are now 8 vents in total in the viv
the rest of the set up is as follows:
30" Arcadia d3 6% strip light with reflector

60w reflector bulb and holder ( temps have been around 33.5 to 35.5 in the day)

IR bulb for night time (temps of around 19.8 to 22 depending on room temp)

Fine rain forest bark substrate

nice piece of slate for feeding on with a piece of cuttle fish bone on it as well have also added in some nice rocks and a few baby spider plants which im hoping when they grow a little more will provide some places to hide under have also put a pot in with some fibre mix and weed seeds so he can grab a bit of a snack if ever he wants to.
Having the real plants and weeds seems to be good for the humidity levels which have been around 38% in the day and around 48%ish at night.

Here are a few pics and advice on improvements would be much appreciated thanks

Last edited by knottyedge; 16-02-2011 at 08:27 PM.
knottyedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Torterra
Sub Adult

Looks nice. Where did you get your log hide? Good luck with your hatchling, want to see his pictures when you get him and more stories.

Lets share our experience with little Indian Stars, wan to see how others doing for the same clutch.
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote