Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 13-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
boothy
Egg

Default Togetherness !

Please forgive me if this is a topic that has already been covered but how do folks feel in regards to tortoises being kept in groups? Do they do better as solitary torts or is there benefit in being kept in groups? I would be interested in your comments.
Stephen
boothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
TortBabe
Adult

Hi, I have 2 Tunisian hatchlings, they really seem to appreciate eachothers company, they snuggle up and do toddle about together as well, I also have 1 Hermanns and 1 Horsfield, kept separately of course, and they seem to do fine alone, though I would like them to have company one day i think....
TortBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Good question and sometimes I think there is no right answer and depends on the tortoise and group. I have small groups and 1 old female tortoise who loves to be on her own .... but then sometimes will do anything to get back in with the group! I do have a few tortoises who live on their own who appear very 'happy'.
Old 15-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
dae
Hatchling

Hiya,

I think alot of it comes down to the home they live in, if their enclosure is big enough that they can escape to be alone when they want or mix when they want, then I think groups are good as they then have a choice. Bar the torts in quarantine, I tend to keep most of my females together at times when they are outside so around 10 but indoors (because they enclosure is obviously smaller) they live in groups of around 4 torts.

I think you just need to be able to read them and make sure they are happy.

A herd of Horsefields

Radiata- Humperdink & friends

A Bengal Kitten called Anakin
dae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I agree with the above comments

I have two groups of torts, all rub along very well and one of the groups have been together for over 50 years. I have one single tort who seems to do better spending most of the time on his own.
However I make sure they have plenty of places to get away from each other
Old 15-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

I would agree, if you plan on getting more, a generous outside enclosure would help, mine sit together some day's other times seperate, mostly returning to group for the night, sometimes when warm one will have a night on the tiles and stay out.
Old 15-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
boothy
Egg

Sounds like the best way is to give them the opportunity to be together or alone. Thanks for the replies.
boothy is offline   Reply With Quote