Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 30-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
princess pepper
Egg

Default A puppy and Pepper?

We are seriously thinking of getting a dog, a wish my little girl has had for ever but we felt was too difficult with working full time. However, that has changed and the dog debate is back on! One of my big worries is Pepper's safety though. She roams freely round the house and I would not want to have to keep her separate from our new loved family member. Can anyone tell me of their experiences with dogs and tortoises? I think a terrier would be a bad idea because they often instinctively bite little creatures but is there a breed which could be trusted with her if we train it and watch carefully? Advice please! x
princess pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
yuna1971
Adult

I think you know the answer to this PP...really. I would definitely say that the table needs to be up higher from the dogs reach...and IMO I would ensure the table has a mesh top fitted to it. Free roaming...with a dog about...NO way. I would NOT ever take a chance with the risk of the dog, as playful or innocent as it may be, attacking the tortoise. No. Sorry. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
NATURALIS
Adult

A good friend of mine had his indian stars in a secure outdoor table with a mesh lid , he turned his back while he answered the phone for a min or two , came back to his dog biting them, the dog had bitten through the mesh lid and had killed 2 of the tortoise's and badly bitten 2 other's , all this happened in less than 5 mins . This happen's all the time because the dog owner thinks they know best and very offen its a sad ending for the tortoise.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

End of. IMHO.

Lily's Movie.
Old 30-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
princess pepper
Egg

oh dear I think you are right. I just couldn't bear it if anything happened to Pepper. Thank you. Now, I need some advice about telling my daughter!
princess pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
yuna1971
Adult

Sorry PP.... its not the answer you want to hear I know..and it IS up to you but I think RFM has forewarned what could happen. Just not worth the heartbreak IMO..xx Sorryxx

Lily's Movie.
Old 30-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
JackieL
Sub Adult

I trust our dog who's a terrier pretty much 100% however I never take any risks surrounding our reptiles, it's just not worth the heartache.
JackieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieL View Post
I trust our dog who's a terrier pretty much 100% however I never take any risks surrounding our reptiles, it's just not worth the heartache.
My friend trusted his dog 100% and no matter how carefull you are sooner or later it could happen , my friend only got distracted for a few mins !!
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
Marly
Sub Adult

I have a Hermann tortoise, Marly, and a Yorkshire Terrier, Macky.
They do meet and over the last year have got used to each other.
Macky is 11 and I have had him since he was 18 months old. He has a very lovely nature and is a great companion and friend. We know each other really well now, to the point of both knowing what the other is going to do before they do it, and knowing moods etc, if you can understand that, I know dog owners will.
Having said that, I would NEVER leave Macky and Marly alone together. This is made much easier for me by the fact that Macky very rarely leaves my side, where I go, he goes, even to the loo Just the way he has always been with me. He wants to keep me in sight, poor lad
I love Macky to bits, think its mutual but I DO NOT TRUST him 100% where Marly is concerned. At the end of the day he is an animal and has instincts he has no control over.
So although I do have Macky and Marly, to be totally honest I would NOT recommend a new puppy to live with a free roaming tortoise. You would have to take many, many, many precautions and literally have eyes in the back of your head. Puppies are young and daft, and chew everything.
Thats my experience PP and my honest opinion xx
Old 30-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
SeeShell
Adult

Personally not a risk I'd take
SeeShell is offline   Reply With Quote