Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Closed Thread

Old 18-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #21
sandy
Adult

Well if you do Josh, and it is a good idea, then if the grass does get a little too long. And you
think there is a possiblity of strangulation, then a trim with a pair of scissors does do the trick.
As I have found my tortoises eat grass more readily when its newly trimmed or mown.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
Old 19-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #22
cpx_20o5
Egg

Send a message via MSN to cpx_20o5 Send a message via Yahoo to cpx_20o5

tortoise dude dtold me to like take my grass out of my enclosures nopw im confused

XxR.I.P Pewe.xX
Old 19-07-2006, 01:18 PM   #23
sandy
Adult

I think you need to maybe take more notice of the more experienced keepers on here.
As they have been keeping tortoises a lot longer, an no most of the real risks in tortoise keeping.
Of course tortoises escape, they also turn over in the sun, but does that stop you putting them
outside, no. You have to think through, any eventuality, as to whether its a real risk or a just in
case risk.
New keeper are great for idea, and basic information, and are the future of tortoise keeping, but
need to put things into context.

Old 19-07-2006, 01:52 PM   #24
tortoise_dude

I told him to take it out a while back, as he had turf in his tank- with a small tortoise, as the actual substrate- as nothing else.
Sandy, i think its quite rude you calling me in-experienced, I have kept tortoises for three years, i know thats alot less than other people, but I have researched alot, doing the TT course, and generally learning, I have actually been picked by Darren to adopt a tortoise (I have adopted it now) and darren is a really experience tortoise keeper, and really cares about tortoises (Its not the darren here, although he might be a member) So he wouldn't let them go to just anyone.
I am quite offended by you basically telling CPX to ignore me, when i obvisouly have a vaild point. The grass he had in his enclosure was quite tall, and i was advising him from experience.
If he remembers rightly, i said take it out or make it shorter.
This was about 4 months back, when he had peewee.

So, get your facts straight before putting me down, i am quite shocked, but not suprised that it would be you to say this, After all, i am friends with shirley, and we all know how good friends you and shirley are.....
You have been rude to me on a number of occasions, about various subjects, but its the last straw for you to tell me i only know basic things about tortoise keeping.

I do not mean to 'attack' you in anyway, but i simply am saying i think its extremely rude, and i am quite offended.

Also, forgot to add, sandy, don't you think there is also a chance of it happening even if the grass is short- we all know how tortoises like to climb and dig, and it could be easily tangled. I have seen one of my torts get tangled in a plantain stem so imagine how a baby one would get out.

Old 19-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #25
sandy
Adult

Sorry if I offended you Josh that was not my intention. But if we all didnt treat tortoise as they are
in the wild then they would all still be in vivs.
And three years is not a lot of experience I am afraid. That doesnt mean you have not aquired a lot of
knowledge.
I wouldnt dream of giving advice on something I heard about, or have little knowledge of. I leave
it to those who do know.
When I try to help its from my personal experiences.
And as far as I know I didnt say not to take notice of you, thats how you have taken it.
As I say you have to take things in context.
You say there is a chance of the tortoises getting strangled in short grass, they have the same
risk with any plant in an enclosure, or getting tangled in roots of a plant,
or turning upside down under a lamp. Where do you draw the line on safety?
I just use my common sense.

Old 19-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #26
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Too keep a tortoise safe at all times we would have to keep them in small boxes which allowed no movement like sandy says we have to draw the line somewhere. We can't wrap them in cotton wool for ever

The North West Tortoise Group
Old 19-07-2006, 04:24 PM   #27
clairekentuk
Incubating

Oops ive let my graecas grass grow in places to almost foot high to let them shelter from the sun as they seemed to like it.
Off to swap it for a nice cotton wool filled box!

Hey guys, Sarah has worked so hard to make this a friendly site, *please* can we keep this that way. Whether Sandy likes another member is irrelevant, she likes tortoises and is a valuable source of knowledge to this group.
Old 19-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #28
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairekentuk
Oops ive let my graecas grass grow in places to almost foot high to let them shelter from the sun as they seemed to like it.
Off to swap it for a nice cotton wool filled box!

Hey guys, Sarah has worked so hard to make this a friendly site, *please* can we keep this that way. Whether Sandy likes another member is irrelevant, she likes tortoises and is a valuable source of knowledge to this group.
Well said totally agree. Lets leave this here before it turns nasty.

The North West Tortoise Group
Old 19-07-2006, 04:30 PM   #29
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Thanks, I think this is a great tropic but has gone out of hand here. I agree with sandy on this and dont think she ment any harm in her comment, i have kept tortoises for 8 years and i am no way an expert, you never stop learning about tortoises they are fasinating creatures!!!!

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Closed Thread