Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 06-07-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
bri_m4
Egg

Default *REPOSTED* Changing the heat and UV source for my tort table

Hi All

I thought I would repost this question as unfortunately i didn't get to see the answers before the forum went down (glad to see you all back up and OK warriors).

Currently my young Ibera, Elvis, (10 months) receives his heat and UV from separate sources.

I have a UV tube that is on a timer from 8am to 9pm every day. Also he has a 60W spot for basking on a timer from 8am to 9pm. On top of this I have a red basking lamp that is set on a thermostat at 24º as a just incase measure, this very occasionally cut in during the winter when the evenings go too cold after "lights out". This was his first winter and he was very young so I was worried about it getting too cold for him.

Now, recently I read in another topic that UV tubes wear out after approx 6 months so mine needs replacing. I read many of you use the Trex lamps that combine both UV and heat. I have hunted around and there seems to be more than one type, a Spot and a Flood, my table is 4' x 3' so which do you suggest?

Also there is another brand called Powersun anyone have any experience of these?

I think I would like a hanging reflector as I want to suspend the lamp rather than clamp it, so anyone suggest a good quality reflector? as they all seem to be clamp ones and I think they are quite expensive for what they are just because they are aimed at the pet owner.

Thanks in advance
Brian
bri_m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
imported_Lowe
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to imported_Lowe

In general the floods are better since they spread out the UV output, meaning your tortoise has more chance of being exposed to the light.

Powersuns have a mixed reputation. The lower wattage (100w) versions are known to blow very quickly, whereas the 160w+ are regarded highly.
imported_Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Have a look on ebay for clamp reflector, i have brought 3 off there nore for about £15 including postage.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Have a look on ebay for clamp reflector, i have brought 3 off there for about £15 including postage.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
bri_m4
Egg

thanks alot peeps
bri_m4 is offline   Reply With Quote