Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 09-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
veebee
Sub Adult

Default Betadine

Sarah kindly told me I can get Betadine from the Chemist, but they wanted to know if its the spray, paint or solution ?? Could anyone confirm it is the solution that I want, and do I use it neat or diluted, if so by how much?? (Its for sore cracks on my torties legs.

Thanks Vivienne
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
jeff
Sub Adult

HI VEEBEE
hope your keeping well,Yes it is the solution form you want,When i used it i mixed it 1ml to 50ml of water.And get some cotten wool and gentle clean the cracks,do This every day keep an eye on it.
jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:36 PM   #3
veebee
Sub Adult

Thanks Jeff, good to hear from you, hope you and your torties are well!

Each of the chemists I have been in so far, dont seen to have heard of Betadine, looks like I have to order it from Boots.

Jeff what could cause this cracking on the legs, they look quite sore and look as though have bled, but not bleeding now. ( I have had four new Leopards and its the bigger 2 year old of the four that has the problem).

Thanks Vivienne
Old 09-07-2006, 11:17 PM   #4
shootinglou79
Sub Adult

veebssssssss wowww you have leopards, you dark horse, or have i missed something x
shootinglou79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:24 PM   #5
jeff
Sub Adult

HI VEEBEE
you can get betadine from a vets they use it to wash down opperation site before they open the skin,Go to them im sure they will let you have some.As for the cause of the skin cracking,ive only ever seen it once when two little hermanns were kept in a viv and never had a bath.it was a shocking site the legs was so sore 1 died the other my mother in law now keeps but made a full recovery after lots of baths and tube feeding.any way getting side tracked,how long have you had then,what were there living conditions like before you got them,And there diet,can you get a pic of the cracks close up please vee bee.it could all so be a vitamin A deficency,need more info mate
jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:44 AM   #6
veebee
Sub Adult

they were kept in open torty box, we counted 17 in all in box, so may have been a bit stressed. They seem well looked after. The breeder said the torties legs were a bit dry and needed more baths. So will give more baths and try the betadine. They still a frightened at the moment, not used to being handled. I will take some pictures over next couple of days and let you see, they all seem very active though. thanks Jeff

Linz, yes I had four leopards on friday, they are siblings of Carls and CJ''s. Lovely little things (at the mo)!!! Going to convert the greenhouse and fence off a quarter of the garden for them!!! It was a toss up whether to have reds or leopards, love their shells!!!

Will post pictures soon xxxx Vivienne
Old 10-07-2006, 01:31 AM   #7
shootinglou79
Sub Adult

awwww cant wait hun, great stuff, keep us updated xxx
shootinglou79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:05 AM   #8
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

You said you were getting leopards didnt realise you were getting them so soon

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:30 AM   #9
piglet
Adult

Hi Vee
There seems to be some husbandry issues with these leopard tortoises regular soaks daily as well as betadine washes
Should see them recover .
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:08 AM   #10
carl20
Hatchling

hi vee, did u get one of the bigger leopards from geoff, i noticed they had some pyrammidding, how is yours?
carl20 is offline   Reply With Quote