Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 24-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
Monty
Egg

Default nails/claws

do you guys ever cut your torts' nails?

I have stones and all sorts of thing to climb and dig in both in my tort table and outdoor enclosure. However my two don't seem to be waring thier nails down. They look too long to me now. Should I cut them at all? I have other pets, so I know not to cut too far down, but I just wondered whether there was a reason why I shouldn't with them.
Old 24-08-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
piglet
Adult

Unlike wild tortoises captive animals don'yt do the same rangeing as the there wild cuisons so don't ware down there claws as quickly just a trim is best take away the sharp end give more exersise on rough ground this will also help.
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
Monty
Egg

thanks Darren, I'll do that!
Old 24-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

Make sure you dont cut into the quick, else there might be some blood. Its easier on torts with
light coloured nails<g> the dark nails are a b--ger.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
saucysqueezy
Incubating

how long should the length be? we've just trimmed our 1 year olds' nails they didn't enjoy it much - the ends were lighter coloured than the base of the nail, is that the bit that needs to be trimmed?
Old 24-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

The darker end is probably the quick.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 12:03 AM   #7
saucysqueezy
Incubating

arr good we left some room and didn't cut off any of the black bits
Old 25-08-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
Monty
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucysqueezy
how long should the length be? we've just trimmed our 1 year olds' nails they didn't enjoy it much - the ends were lighter coloured than the base of the nail, is that the bit that needs to be trimmed?
yes, I don't think its going to be easy! I don't really want to hold their legs too tight - how did you manage it saucysqueezy?
Old 25-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
saucysqueezy
Incubating

i don't know if we used the right equipment but it er did the job! it waas a first for me we used toe clippers (disinfected first of course, they are now tort clippers!) - once the clipper had a hold of the nail they did sometimes try and pull their legs back in to their shell but the clipper held the nail tight until it had snipped off the end bit. I found holding the tort in one hand while clipping was easiest but these are babies, a bigger tort i would have no idea on how to cope with!! Also if you have a light on in the background you can see the lighter and darker bits of the nails better so you know you aren't clipping too close to the dark bit. One tort let out his "sniff of disgust" as we have come to call it (we think it will develop into a hiss in time, it's like someone blowing a bubble from their mouth, it's that sound!) and they weren't too comfortable having it done but once the first few nails are done it doesn't seem as traumatic!
Old 25-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #10
wizzasmum

When cutting the nail it is important to hold the leg and cut the nail quickly. If using the clippers to hold the nail as you say, you can actually damage the nail bed or even pull the nail out. Always hold the leg not the nail. Also worth noting is that the 'quick' actually extends in a fine point further than the dark bit that you can see so can still be caught if going up to the dark bit, The snort of disgust you mention is just the air being expelled as the head is drawn in, as a reaction, and not a deliberate sound.
Hope this helps