Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 22-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
Finsky
Incubating

Default Allowing tortoise to have a run around

Since Putin woke up from his hibernation, I have few times now put him on living room floor on old sheets to allow him properly stretch his legs and have some exercise.
His indoor (temporary) housing could be little larger, but until my spare room, where his new indoor area going to be, is being decorated, this smaller one will have to do. Outside pen for him is not ready yet and temperatures are still too cold for him anyway. He also have larger housing built up in greenhouse, but being without heating, it is not available for him unless it is sunny weather, and even then I would bring him in for a night.
So my question is...is there is any reason why it is not good idea to allow him to have run on floor?
He certainly does pick a pace when he realize there is no obvious boundaries to be seen...
These couple of times I have let him run..I have been there next to him, so there is absolutely no chance him escaping or otherwise getting into trouble .....under strict supervision only!! I have timed it so that our dog is having her walkies..terriers and torts do not mix!
I've tried to think it from all angles...and for my thinking I can't see why it should not be allowed. But after reading something on the line 'you should not...' without giving the reasons for such a advise and after taking into account all the obvious H & S issues, I'm still wondering if there is something I'm not aware of.
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
Splinter
Egg

As far as I know as long as your there it's no issue, some say it's bad because they can eat bits off the floor, but as long as you are watching to prevent this, I can't see the issue anyway.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsky View Post
Since Putin woke up from his hibernation, I have few times now put him on living room floor on old sheets to allow him properly stretch his legs and have some exercise.
His indoor (temporary) housing could be little larger, but until my spare room, where his new indoor area going to be, is being decorated, this smaller one will have to do. Outside pen for him is not ready yet and temperatures are still too cold for him anyway. He also have larger housing built up in greenhouse, but being without heating, it is not available for him unless it is sunny weather, and even then I would bring him in for a night.
So my question is...is there is any reason why it is not good idea to allow him to have run on floor?
He certainly does pick a pace when he realize there is no obvious boundaries to be seen...
These couple of times I have let him run..I have been there next to him, so there is absolutely no chance him escaping or otherwise getting into trouble .....under strict supervision only!! I have timed it so that our dog is having her walkies..terriers and torts do not mix!
I've tried to think it from all angles...and for my thinking I can't see why it should not be allowed. But after reading something on the line 'you should not...' without giving the reasons for such a advise and after taking into account all the obvious H & S issues, I'm still wondering if there is something I'm not aware of.

The reason why most experienced keepers don't let their tortoises roam the house is because of what they an pick up. Smallpieses of foam from packaging, bits of fallen food, the odd bits of plastic etc the ones not easily seen by the human eye. Also fallen hairs.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
Finsky
Incubating

Thank you for both of your replies.
I did think of 'bits' on floor and that's why when I did let Putin on floor he was allowed to run only on the sheets I had put on floor...no running around as he pleased, more of 'controlled' fun. Once he got to end of the sheet runaway...I turned him around and he was off again! No wonder tortoises are so easily lost...they do pick up some speed when they want to!
I placed few leaves of greenery along the way..but he didn't even stop to sniff at them running straight past..

Maybe I should have our running event as occasional treat only..
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #5
JerryMaffz
Incubating

I've never let Jerry on the house floor. As Sandy says there is always the potential to pick things up no matter how scrupulous you might be. As you say, Finsky, they can be pretty rapid at times and there's the potential for all sorts of accidents to occcur from being hit by a door or god forbid, stepped on....These things are unlikely but I don't even want that possibility in the equation.

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #6
Suze65
Adult

I would only do this if you are watching, and for a short time. There is the potential for eating bits, ( even carpet) pooing and weeing on your floor, and getting too cold ( in the winter) if there is no basking light available. And on slippery floors , it can be difficult for them to get good traction.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 07:11 PM   #7
Jan W
Sub Adult

Well, I do let mine go around kitchen floor and utility room, but I never leave them. Also, I would argue my floor is probably cleaner than the garden in terms of micro-organisms. I would be surprised if anyone uses sterile substrate too. We do not live in a sterile world. I'm sure age is a factor but as I had mine at 2 years I felt happy to do this based on the advice at the time to get them outside as much as possible.

Definitely agree need to protect them from anything potentially dangerous, but I don't seem to have anything on the floor that poses a problem ( I think). I do give them a choice of being on the towels or the floor - although no idea if they can tell the difference in temperature. Does anyone know? My kitchen is always warm and floor is a laminate.

If they pee or poo I clean it up with disposable paper towels and wash with hot soapy water (removes 99% of known germs)!

I have 2 small children's stools that they go under when they have had enough, or into the darker corner. As soon as they stop I put them back into their indoor house. Sometimes they like a few minutes, sometimes 1/2 hour pottering round. Bertie has a route! I try to work out what they want to do.

I haven't let them on carpet, mainly because their eliminating habits are unpredictable and I do not hoover my carpet as much as I clean the kitchen floor. I definitely have more control over them in the kitchen, so wouldn't attempt this anywhere else.

I also find this an enjoyable time with them as I often sit on the floor and they will climb over my feet or work out how to get round me. I enjoy just observing them. They do seem to enjoy the space, but perhaps that is my human interpretation!
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

years of running round the house and conservatory, bathing in front of wood burner, them not me, but then again.. and not had one die of eating carpets yet. At least there are no seagulls either. CB
Old 26-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #9
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I don't do this and my reasons are that tortoises might go behind furniture, the cooker etc and because of the pee and poo. If a keeper is keeping a close eye on things and has removed hazards I don't think it's very harmful. But perhaps this is mainly a fun thing for the keeper.
Old 26-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #10
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
years of running round the house and conservatory, bathing in front of wood burner, them not me, but then again.. and not had one die of eating carpets yet. At least there are no seagulls either. CB
I'm visualising the flat in the TV play, Esiotort! Loved the bit when the guy joined Dustin Hoffman and Judi Dench for dinner - he really liked the crunchy 'nibbles'. Ha ha.....
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote