Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 17-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
thunor
Egg

Default need idea on how much food they should eat

Hi,

I got given two torts last year as their owner died. They are about 60 plus years and spur thigh females.

They have been awake for 2 days and have eaten about 1 mouthful each. They have access to heat and uv lamp.

Can someone given me an idea on how much they should be eating at the moment and also how much they should eat mid summer so o know what to expect please?

Thank you
thunor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

These will be old Wild Caught tortoises. You are very lucky to get two lovely big tortoises. Can we have some photos please? Once they get going, they can have plenty food and again when outside in the spring, provide plenty green weeds, or if they have the run of the garden, let them look for themselves. There is absolutely no need to limit there intake on weeds at their great age. Make sure they have a chance of a nice bath in warm water, so they can rehydrate. It will probably take them a week to get back into proper eating mode, this quite often happens with larger totoises.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
JoesMum
Hatchling

When Joe comes out of hibernation it can take 2-3 weeks for him to start eating properly. A daily 20 minute soak in warm water is vital... I use reptoboost in the water to help with the rehydration process.

As his toileting returns to normal, so does his appetite. Once they get going, they will eat a lot. On a "I'm just out of hibernation and have realised I'm starving" day he is capable of putting away a whole romaine, a whole little gem and a bag of mixed leaves/as many weeds as I can gather. His appetite then settles to about half that - in summer I'm not sure exactly how much he eats because he has free run of the garden and grazes that, though I do supplement.
Old 18-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
thunor
Egg

Thanks for the reply and I will upload some photos tomorrow.

What should I expect them to eat, can they go a whole day with just a mouthful or should they be grazing all day? I did Google it several times and there is nothing concrete on how much is good.

They currently have access to watercress, fresh picked weeds that I've grown in the greenhouse, Lambs ears and pansies.

Once the weather is better they will have access to a 80ft x 30ft garden and can do as they please. They are currently keeping warm in the heated greenhouse though.

I have been giving them 2 baths a day (3 the first day they woke up) at a temp of 24C with Reptoboost in the water.

Thanks
thunor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
shellonia
Sub Adult

I think you'll be astonished how much they eat once they get going and the body toxins are all flushed through. Bathing is by far the most important thing to get that sorted and Reptoboost is good. You have some lovely tortoises there.
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
EJ
Adult

You should try and duplicate what they have been fed over the last 60 years. If you want to change it I would suggest you do it gradually. Also... I'd recommend against supplements until the tortoises are established and eating normally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunor View Post
Hi,

I got given two torts last year as their owner died. They are about 60 plus years and spur thigh females.

They have been awake for 2 days and have eaten about 1 mouthful each. They have access to heat and uv lamp.

Can someone given me an idea on how much they should be eating at the moment and also how much they should eat mid summer so o know what to expect please?

Thank you
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

Quote:

What should I expect them to eat, can they go a whole day with just a mouthful or should they be grazing all day? I did Google it several times and there is nothing concrete on how much is good.

They currently have access to watercress, fresh picked weeds that I've grown in the greenhouse, Lambs ears and pansies.

Once the weather is better they will have access to a 80ft x 30ft garden and can do as they please. They are currently keeping warm in the heated greenhouse though.

I have been giving them 2 baths a day (3 the first day they woke up) at a temp of 24C with Reptoboost in the water.

Thanks
Sounds as if you are coping well. I don't think you need to worry. They can go weeks without feeding or drinking. What you have done should get them kick started, so don't worry. As I said before, let them eat what they want. When they go out, they will probably eat a lot more as they will be exercising.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
kkenny
Sub Adult

how exciting, cant wait to see the pics.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
andybrock
Incubating

Quote:

Thanks

Sounds like your looking after them very well and they have a great home to live another 60+ years.

Cant wait to see the pictures
andybrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
tootsieroll61
Hatched

Sounds as if you are doing everything right
tootsieroll61 is offline   Reply With Quote