Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 23-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Blueginger1984
Incubating

Red face How important is hibernation?

Hi Everyone, i just thought i'd ask a few questions about the dreaded 'H' word (the very word sends shivers down my spine). I've only had my two since May so i've decided to over winter them this year. But just thinking back my tort vet says she doesn't hibernate her torts because they are rescue one's and not well enough, this has got me thinking, if a rescue tort can live without hibernation then why can't mine??
I know its what they do in the wild but they dont have much choice in the wild they have to or risk dieing i suppose. But in captivety we can provide them with what they need to survive so why do it.
What are the long term affects of not hibernating? i know they will continue to grow during the winter months but i can't think of any other reason.
If anything were to happen to my two during hibernation i would NEVER forgive myself, and i only have a garden shed so i wouldn't think that is frost proof, which propably would mean i'd have to use the fridge method, (i'm not sure i like the idea of seeing their little faces everytime i go in the fridge i'd want to climb in there with them.)
Because their captive bred how do they know what to do? I very much doubt the shop i had them from has ever hibernated them so it would be the first time for all of us and they can't miss something they've never had. I just dont want to put them through something and risk them getting ill or even worse not surviving if they can live happily without it. Sorry for the long post but i'm such a worrier!!
Old 23-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
TortBabe
Adult

The choice is entirely yours Shelley! I personally like to hibernate but many people overwinter. No one knows if it is harmful to over-winter, its just a personal choice. I have 2 species that don't hibernate, they are slower in the winter and I only feed every other day whereas in Summer i will feed everyday.
Old 23-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
TillyTortoise
Adult

It stops the tortoise eating 365 days a year. It also puts an immense strain on the animal's renal system as urate production would be extremely increased, this leading to kidney or bladder stones and eventual death. There is also a phenomenon of supressed breeding performance of animals which aren't hibernated, in particular sperm count is considerably reduced.

But how do we really know?
TillyTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

I think you have answered your own question there! If you dont want to or feel happy about hibernation - then dont do it.

There is no definitive answer to this question, its a highly emotive subject & people will argue until they are blue in the face - do a quick search (when you have plenty of time to spare ) You will see a lot of theories & different schools of thought - & unfortunately a lot of disagreements! But I would research it thoroughly with next year in mind, & if your still unhappy, then overwinter
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
helsbells
Hatchling

Send a message via AIM to helsbells Send a message via MSN to helsbells

I have never hibernated the group i have now as many years a go i lost 2 in hibernation so i am really scared about doing it again. I haven't found over wintering them has affected their breeding as i have had 100% hatching rate and over the past year i have had numerous hatchling's from one of my females. Over winter they are in their indoor enclosures and i let them have a wander around my living room every day.
Old 24-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Herpard
Adult

Hi,

Its up to you!

I don't hibernate mine and never will do, both my Hermanns have never been hibernated, someone posted a picture on here a while ago of a really healthy looking tortoise with smooth shell growth that has never been hibernated (I think the tortoise might have been 30 years? Will try and find the thread for you when I'm not on my iPod)

I feel as long as you can provide food & warmth during the winter months then you don't have to hibernate, why take the risk if you don't have to?

And you don't have to feed them 365 days a year, alot of people, including myself, don't feed their tortoises everyday,I feed my lot for 2 days then miss a day and during the winter months I feed my Hermanns every other day!

During the colder months I start to grow extra weeds & flowers indoors and that gets mixed in with florrette salad!

Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
jamestaylor18
Hatched

I hibernated both my horsefields last year using the fridge method for the first time. They did 6 weeks all together, then I woke them up.

I'm not going to lie, it's pretty nerve racking the first time. Once you get into the habit of weekly weighing / inspections etc it becomes much simpler!

If you are seriously consider it for next year, get reading articles now! I spend 12 months researching before I actually did it! The tortoise trust website has some brilliant articles.

As has been already said, it is entirely upto you. We could argue all day the pro's & con's! I personally choose to hibernate mine because they slow down in winter despite correct temps etc! I personally put that down to lack of "proper" natural sunlight. Good luck anyway & if you need some advice I'd be happy to help!
x1 Tree Frog (Freddie)
x1 Corn Snake (Nessie)
jamestaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
Bencoook
Egg

I have over wintered and hibernated and my tortoises were far more active in the summers after they were hibernated than not. This is just what I found with my lot. You shouldn't be afraid of the fridge method. It is the most controlled way to hibernate your tortoises and he least likely to give you complications.

Ben

1.0.0 Bengal Cat
0.1.0 Siamese Cat
2.3.0 Marginated Tortoises
Bencoook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleys1984 View Post
I've only had my two since May so i've decided to over winter them this year. But just thinking back my tort vet says she doesn't hibernate her torts because they are rescue one's and not well enough, this has got me thinking, if a rescue tort can live without hibernation then why can't mine??
I know its what they do in the wild but they dont have much choice in the wild they have to or risk dieing i suppose. But in captivety we can provide them with what they need to survive so why do it.
You've partly answered your own question there and not all tortoises in the wild hibernate, only those that live in cooler parts of the world in winter.

With global warming, will hibernating torts hibernate less and less over the years until they don't hibernate at all or will they all leave the Med Region and head north to find colder winters so they can hibernate?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
JackieL
Sub Adult

I'm debating hibernating Ernie (6 year old male horsfield) this year, my new female I shant as I have only just got her so I will over winter her.

I am so undecided what to do, I only want to do what's best for my tortoises, I'm scared to death if I hibernate him I will lose him . I find the whole thing so unnatural, placing him in a fridge! But then, that is me humanising the situation and I am well aware of that.

I have read that hibernating can prolong life, baring in mind these creatures do live a long time.

I just can't make a decision and stick to it!
JackieL is offline   Reply With Quote