Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 04-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #71
EJ
Adult

Providing a gradient doesn't really make sense because I don't think the tortoise is selecting UVB amount for its need or by instinct.

I'm not saying UVB is not beneficial. I just wonder how much UVB is needed and how does anyone know this.

There are also substitutes of UVB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
If we don't know how much uvb the tortoise really needs then it makes sense to me to be providing somehting a bit like what seems to happen in nature but with options so the tortoise can make the best of the available conditions.

My tortoises seem to bask for heat as Ed says, and in nature this would be combined with uvb exposure naturally. In captivity it seems right to e trying to provide something a bit similar.

What I'm very aware of these days is that the meditteranean species in nature spend large parts of the day in the summer hiding from the heat and consequently not getting uvb. They are more likely to be basking in the morning or late afternoon when the uvb is significant but not up at 200 uw.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #72
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
I don't think the tortoise is selecting UVB amount for its need or by instinct
I actually think that they do, or at least mine does. I posted a thread recently about it, a couple of months back maybe. My tort was staying out of the UV and hiding away until I changed the bulb for a non UVB bulb and it returned to the basking spot once again.

As to what they actually require, that is something I wouldn't know but they seem to know themselves
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #73
EJ
Adult

How do you know it was the UVB and not another part of the sprectrum of light provided that it was shying away from?

Lets say that your tortoise can sense UVB... does that mean yours was getting too much UVB or that it did not want any UVB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I actually think that they do, or at least mine does. I posted a thread recently about it, a couple of months back maybe. My tort was staying out of the UV and hiding away until I changed the bulb for a non UVB bulb and it returned to the basking spot once again.

As to what they actually require, that is something I wouldn't know but they seem to know themselves
and
Old 04-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #74
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

yes, one of those probably
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #75
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Providing a gradient doesn't really make sense because I don't think the tortoise is selecting UVB amount for its need or by instinct.

I'm not saying UVB is not beneficial. I just wonder how much UVB is needed and how does anyone know this.

There are also substitutes of UVB.
Ed, you should have attended the "Chelonia 2002" Turtle breeders conference at the weekend. Francis Baines gave an amazing presentation and a practical exhibit of environmental lighting. It was, (excuse the pun) truly illuminating and dealt in a cogent and very scientific manner with issues discussed in this thread.
She was also able to launch her new initiative to obtain practical input from Zoo's and hobby keepers. This was one of the highlights of the weekend and was a treat for the delegates whom I am very sure learnt a great deal more about this often vexed question!
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #76
EJ
Adult

Are they going to publish the proceedings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
Ed, you should have attended the "Chelonia 2002" Turtle breeders conference at the weekend. Francis Baines gave an amazing presentation and a practical exhibit of environmental lighting. It was, (excuse the pun) truly illuminating and dealt in a cogent and very scientific manner with issues discussed in this thread.
She was also able to launch her new initiative to obtain practical input from Zoo's and hobby keepers. This was one of the highlights of the weekend and was a treat for the delegates whom I am very sure learnt a great deal more about this often vexed question!
and
Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #77
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Are they going to publish the proceedings?
I certainly hope so, as I am sure that many of the delegates will confirm,there was a lot of very valuable content over the two day event.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote