Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 07-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
gregnobes
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna View Post
Greg is right you have a sulcata not a horsfield I would contact whoever sold you this as a horsfield. Sulcatas are lovely but get huge!

Regarding the heat, the size ceramic you have will be giving off little heat at the level of the tort. You need a higher wattage or better still a combined bulb.
i had to read the post agen to make sure u did not say u have a sulcata and a horsfield but no defo a sulcata but u was sold the wrong set up for both u really need a table and it should be fed on a grass diet not the mixed veg bags i would also look in to changing the substrate i dont think hemp is that gr8 for them but im not 100% sure u really do not want it in a viv u need it in a table and i think quite a big one as they grow very fast
gregnobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #12
wigwamman
Juvenile

hi there,i think before you become too concerned about temps etc,you must decide if you want to keep this animal.you have been sold equipment (viv,heat emitter,mat)that is of little use to you,also being sold a sulcata instead of horsefield is almost criminal.in 5 years time a horsefield will be about 5 inches in length,while a sulcata will be about12 inches+ ,horsefields hibernate ,sulcatas dont ,so you will need somewhere large enough to keep him warm through the winter.sorry if this sounds a little harsh but i feel the shop have done you no favours at all.
best wishes
dave
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #13
TortBabe
Adult

OMG I cannot believe they sold you a sulcata passed off as a horsfield Although it is a beautiful tort
Old 08-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
claire/taz
Egg

Send a message via MSN to claire/taz

thanks you for all your info. i have had a word with claire over this and sad to say we are going to take it back and get the cash back from her it is sad as she is very nice but have got no where to house her when she get bigger . and will pick up a horsfield from a reptile shop that we use all the time for the bearded dragon. as they have got some nice ones in there

Thanks Taz
squirt horse field tort
buster my staffy
miffy the kids rabbit. rip (10-11-2010)
3 chickens
a number of budgies/cockatiels & finches
my 2 baby girls chloe age 5 and lilly 3
my loyal loving partner of 9 years taz xx
claire/taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
claire/taz
Egg

plus how can you tell from this photo that it is a sulcata and not a horsfield. so i no what to look out for the next time i get one.

Thanks Taz
squirt horse field tort
buster my staffy
3 chickens
Old 08-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
yuna1971
Adult

In terms of lighting - I agree with Jo. The bulb you have now is a compact UV bulb and this will only give him his UV at the area where it is situated. If you get a combined heat/UV bulb it will give him both.
I didnt see that you mentioned his age - is he a hatchling?? If he is, depending on how young, this viv might be ok for the beginning but if he is going to get bigger, then you must seriously consider space and a sizable tort table. Maybe not right now, but you have to bear this in mind. Another bit of winning info from a shop....(not your fault at all Claire and its not ALL shops that are like this). IMO, I think consider a tortoise table after winter. I presume you are overwintering (keeping him awake, not hibernating). If so, he might benefit from the heat containment of the viv...however, I would ensure that he has adequate ventilation or you will struggle to maintain the temperature gradient. His hide should be in the cool end. And basking end, the spot you would be aiming for 32/34 degrees underneath the basking light.
With regards the substrate, i would use sterilised topsoil through out. Check about the depth as I am not sure. Maybe readigrass in the sleeping area , although be careful none gets under the light, as could be a potential fire risk. I am not sure about Aspen...there are some bad stories on this, and some owners that have no problem with it. IMO, I wouldnt go with it....but thats just me. See what others say on it.
I would block off the bottom of the viv by the way. IT WILL stress him with the glass. He will think he can go through it. The last thing you want is a stressed tort who then could go down with RNS. So block the bottom bit off so that he cant see through it.
I am sure other opinions will follow. xx Hope this helps, but its all ultimately your decision. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 08-11-2010 at 12:56 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
claire/taz
Egg

you all talk of glass there is NO glass in there at all. it has been taking out by taz and a big lip on it as well if you look at the photos you will see this so alot o air can get in there. Aspen was told from a breeder that this is good so can do poo spot ok with it as well. heat/UV bulb i have got a uv and next to this is a 100w Ceramic Heat Bulb and the temperature sit around 30c-35c

Thanks
squirt horse field tort
buster my staffy
3 chickens
Old 08-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #18
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

You didn't get a Sulcata tortoise, neither did you get a Horsfields tortoise. You have a Spur-thigh tortoise, Testudo graeca. I'll need more pictures (straight down on the carapace (top shell) and the plastron (bottom shell)) to tell subspecies. You should have gotten an Article 10 from the shop when you purchased the tortoise.

Danny
Old 08-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #19
Torterra
Sub Adult

Spot on Danny! It is very light colour similar to Sulcata but Sullys dont have claws for digging. It looks lovely. I was thinking it is not quite sulcata no, although looks a bit alike from distance
Was reading this but I dont have enough exp with tortoises to put my voice in yet.
Keep it it is very good tort!
You will need to have deep enough soil to allow diggin in.
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #20
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by claire/taz View Post
hi all, to start id better tell you about my viv.

Its 4x2 viv with half substrate and half aspen with a habba hut with hay in for sleep time. it has a 100w clay and a uvb bulb 26w ive taken the doors of cuz of humidity.

The temp dont seem to be getting up to what it should be atm its sitting at 27. I have a heat mat in there but its not turned on cuz i've just found out that there no good but the guy in the reptile shop says there ok for under the bed at night time.
Im really confused on who i should take notice of and who i shouldnt listen too. HELP!!!!!!
I would use a basking bulb that lights up instead of a clay one, you might need to try different wattages to get the right temperature, 100w might do but maybe 80w or 70w either. If you buy the cheap ones from Asda it's not a big loss if you get the wrong one first, they are onll about £2 or something I think
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote