Neddy
Sub Adult

Awww bless that is an awesome house
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
WriterNick
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to WriterNick

I've gotta say I've seen a lot of wonderful tortoise tables, but that is something else! Wow, that is fantastic and I think as he now lives in a castle Kreacher should be known as Sir Kreacher at the very least
WriterNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #13
kreacher
Sub Adult

Yes definately...I have lots of swords on the living room wall so I will now Knight her as lady kreacher...hehe love it lol
kreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:40 AM   #14
tortoise_dude
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreacher View Post
I don't hibernate her any year...I don't feel there is any need when my house is nice and warm...she won't naturally hibernate unless I put her somewhere cold so she stays awake inside...the heat lamp is right at the back and the uv light hangs over the middle so she has adequate space to thermo regulate and all the temps have been set so she has warm and cool spots...as for space, it is three foot square which is larger than a lot of commercially available tables...
It looks from the pictures as though both lamps are pretty much in the middle. How deep is the substrate?

The reason I don't think it is big enough is that a large portion of the space is covered. I doubt the tortoise will get the full use of the UVB lamp in these areas if he stays in there. I personally feel that as hibernation is part of the natural cycle then the tortoise should be encouraged to hibernate Not hibernating can cause a fatty build up in the liver and unless your tortoise is unwell it is advised by most knowledgeable groups that you should hibernate your tortoise.
tortoise_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #15
kreacher
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise_dude View Post
It looks from the pictures as though both lamps are pretty much in the middle. How deep is the substrate?

The reason I don't think it is big enough is that a large portion of the space is covered. I doubt the tortoise will get the full use of the UVB lamp in these areas if he stays in there. I personally feel that as hibernation is part of the natural cycle then the tortoise should be encouraged to hibernate Not hibernating can cause a fatty build up in the liver and unless your tortoise is unwell it is advised by most knowledgeable groups that you should hibernate your tortoise.
I know exactly how to look after reptiles and have spent the last fifteen years doing so and now fostering for the RSPCA. I did not put pictures up to have an argument regarding hibernation...I know the devastating effects nit hibernating a tortoise can have but I have also seen very healthy tortoises get sick after hibernation...kreachers diet is controlled throughout the whole year so she has no excess of food otherwise she would now be in very poor health if I has not done it properly...I understand your concerns but hibernation is a very tricky subject on here and sparks many arguments...I have spent many hours studying these animals and other reptiles
Old 01-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #16
kreacher
Sub Adult

Quote:

I have a uv metre and and tge furthest point away from the uv light at two foot away under the two inch cover it still reads 86%...
Old 01-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #17
tortoise_dude
Hatched

Quote:
I know exactly how to look after reptiles and have spent the last fifteen years doing so and now fostering for the RSPCA. I did not put pictures up to have an argument regarding hibernation...I know the devastating effects nit hibernating a tortoise can have but I have also seen very healthy tortoises get sick after hibernation...kreachers diet is controlled throughout the whole year so she has no excess of food otherwise she would now be in very poor health if I has not done it properly...I understand your concerns but hibernation is a very tricky subject on here and sparks many arguments...I have spent many hours studying these animals and other reptiles
I wasn't doubting your knowledge, just suggested that this might be more suitable for another animal. The substrate really doesn't look ideal and it doesn't look deep enough either. With all due respect, if hibernation is done properly then your tortoise won't suffer from it.

Quote:
I have a uv metre and and tge furthest point away from the uv light at two foot away under the two inch cover it still reads 86%...
Which model of solar meter do you have? Every one I've come across measures in Ma/W rather than a percentage.
tortoise_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
kreacher
Sub Adult

Quote:
I wasn't doubting your knowledge, just suggested that this might be more suitable for another animal. The substrate really doesn't look ideal and it doesn't look deep enough either. With all due respect, if hibernation is done properly then your tortoise won't suffer from it.

Which model of solar meter do you have? Every one I've come across measures in Ma/W rather than a percentage.
This has been specifically designed for kreacher to live in, so no it would not be suitable for another animal!! The substrate is what is recommended for her and is deep enough for her to dig in every night to go to sleep...I will not argue over hibernation with you, you have your opinion and I have mine which is fine left as it. If you want to hibernate your tortoises then that is perfectly fine however I personally choose not to hibernate mine.

My meter is made by solartech we imported it from America...it can be set to measure the effectiveness if a specific bulb if the details of the bulb is put in...
Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #19
ziggy's owner
Adult

I ain't putting mine in to hibernation, and that's the first time I have heard it causes I'll health,

I think it's great and it's your tort, things that work for one will never work for another

As ed said in threads they only hibernate cause of temps, and not all species hibernate, so how can it cause problems?

Sorry to hijack but I love his castle and don't see why people have problems with it, everyones diff, mine sleep in a viv without doors, most people don't like that, but once again his your tort you know what's right

2.0.0 spur thighs
2.3.0 hermanns
2.1.1 marginated
0.0.4 leopard
2.8.0 guinea pigs
1.2.0 Springers
1.0.0 hamster
0.0.1 Blue Tongue skink
2.2.0 Beardies
And tropical fish
Also have baby marginated tortoises for sale
ziggy's owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #20
kreacher
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy's owner View Post
I ain't putting mine in to hibernation, and that's the first time I have heard it causes I'll health,

I think it's great and it's your tort, things that work for one will never work for another

As ed said in threads they only hibernate cause of temps, and not all species hibernate, so how can it cause problems?

Sorry to hijack but I love his castle and don't see why people have problems with it, everyones diff, mine sleep in a viv without doors, most people don't like that, but once again his your tort you know what's right
Hear hear! Thank you for your support it is a shame people have to be so funny about things...we also had kreacher living in an open viv for a while and ur worked really well...