Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 09-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #11
pawsplus
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop
I see in some pictures the wood looks like it's veneered - can this be toxic?

I'm fairly sure this one was purchased -- hence, the veneer. I don't see that it would be toxic. You could use melamine-coated wood, I guess, but get a handyman to do it for you b/c cutting that w/out messing up the melamine is difficult and requires a special saw.

Don't get too fancy. All other things aside, your sulcata will be using an entire ROOM in a few years anyway, so make this one as big as possible. Big is better than fancy!
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #12
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

i think u have the term of veneered wrong. veneer is thinly sliced pieces of wood.

any coated wood shud eb avoided when uses water e.g. humidity. Melamine coated wood is a engineered wood and contians pesticides and has a unknown amount of toxicity.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #13
pawsplus
Hatched

Veneer is usually considered any thin piece of anything laminated onto wood. In the pic above, it's clearly plastic of some sort laminated onto the wood. Again, I recommend using tubs in all tables in order to avoid moisture problems w/ wood, etc.

(And I'm not recommending veneered materials at all -- the OP mentioned that table. Personally, I prefer plain old wood. I did stain mine, but b/c I use tubs there is no danger).
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #14
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

thats fine using plastic , it's just plastic sweats more than wood and wood can be waterproofed with yacht varnish.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #15
Tara
Hatched

Have you ever known ANYONE so stressed over a tort table !

Christian ... as much as I would love to be handy enough to build it myself and be proud, im really not handy and honetly the thought of entering B&Q looking for varnish and sealant is a total nightmare, pretty much like most blokes entering mothercare ... would there be any chance you could build, varnish and seal me a basic table 24 x 24 x 6 inch.
I'd prefer it out of wood, rather than MDF, but will take your advice. It's just to avoid painting really, and I prefer the look of a wood finish. Obviously I would pay you everything to cover the costs and then some. I'd rather have one from someone who knows what they are doing and wont rip me off for £100's !!!

As for accessories, I'll go for clip bulbs etc and the hides / water / bathing stuff etc, I'll get seperatly so i can change them as he grows.

No doubt he'll be moving to the 8ft by 5 ft dining table in a year or so.

Thanks so much

Tara

2 Sulcata's: Scoop. CB September 2006 and Travis. CB June 2007.
1 Yorkie, 1 Sprocker and 2 Moggys
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:05 AM   #16
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

We have used the side panels from a sturdy solid pine bed base for the sides, you could get one free from freecycle, we usually have at least 1 a week offered on ours. For the base, I went to my local woodyard and got a piece of good quality plywood, it was an off cut and cost a few pounds. the whole thing is screwed together, with a bit of wood glue thrown in for good measure!
The bed had an antique pine finish, so it looks really good, the important thing is the tortoises enjoy it!

Laraine
Old 10-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #17
Tara
Hatched

Thanks Laraine
To be honest i though i was real clever thinking I could adapt a bookcase like this one
... just by removing the shelves and maybe making the base more sturdy, but others have advised againt it, so I wasn't too sure even what wood to use as I dont fancy MDF, as I would rather have a 'wood' finish, even if it is a plastic picture !

Im very allergic to DIY and hoping Christian will help me out
The thought of building one scares me ... and im so afraid of getting it wrong.

Thanks though. Im sure as he starts to grow im going to have to get more familiar with B&Q !

Old 10-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #18
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

hi I have pm'd you with a link that may help, the best thing is to keep it simple, the bookshelf idea is a good one and is often recommended to new owners, all it takes is a wee bit of customisation. Tell OH to view it as customisation, like with a car or a motorbike!

Laraine
Old 10-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #19
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

tara. just so u know MDF is wood, just a different type of wood which is cheap but very strong. a wood finish can be achieved by simply painting the wood a different colour. if u use such woods that have all the knots in and grains then then tend to break when drilling and slinter much more easier plus these woods are much more expenisve and normally treated.

like i said i proberly cud help u out in advising u but if i was to make it then i will ahve to see as i am at the mo we are trying fight to keep out nan from being put into a care home.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #20
Tara
Hatched

Hi thanks Christian, no problem, thank you for all your advice. Please concentrate on your Nan. I will follow what you have said regarding wood and have a go myself ... i'll let you know how I get on.

Best of luck with your Nan

T
x