Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 19-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
newforestmum
Hatchling

Default Turtle pro's & con's please

Being very lazy but just thought I would ask about turtles. Never owned one before but Tom says I can have a pond for our goldfish that are breeding like crazy in our old bath. Only started off with two now have loads.

Anyway I was just wondering what it is like to keep turtles.

I keep Iberas, Redfoots and currently have a Leopard lodger.

Obviously if I decide to go down the turtle route I would have to do some serious research first but just wanted to get a rough idea of pro's and con's from you guys first

thanks Lisa

newforestmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
touie
Hatched

I love my turtles, if your talking about turtles for your pond adult cooters are the only turtles i can think of that would probably not feast on your fish, though I have seen others with fish. Pros turtles are just cool lol cons, for the winter you'll either need a big tank with UV, heat, basking area and good filter, or a heated pond. Hope that helps
touie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Mine are not exactly turtles <g> they come from the US where they have in the past and still
do in a lot of states, call all chelonia "turtles".
Mine dont live in water, just bathe in it.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 07:55 AM   #4
Lloyd
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to Lloyd

No cons with turtles there great.
Few things id like to point out though ( to touie) cooters and sliders dont need a heated pond mate or to go into a heated tank with uv for the winter, mine stay in the pond and hibernate naturaly with no problems .
As for turtles in you pond Lisa i have cooters, red eared sliders ,yellow bellies and maps in out doorponds and the maps are the only ones that come in for winter.
Lloyd

Lloyd
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
touie
Hatched

I was told that peninnsular (sp) cooters don't hibernate as it naturally doesnt get cold enough for them to in Florida?
Old 20-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
newforestmum
Hatchling

next question then what sort of pond?

we were going to construct a trough type pond for the fish. We have a concrete block wall in place already approx 7 blocks long

we were just going to build another 3 brick walls to make a rectangular pond. you can see some bricks laid on the grass to the left hand side we were thinking about 4 bricks wide and about 3 blocks high

Now if I want a turtle as well I assume it will need some modifications like some land with a planted area as well. As a rough guess I think I could either have a planted area one end or both ends. Would have to put net/wire cover over whole thing to keep fish and possibly turtle in and dogs, kids, etc out

What else? What type of plants? What is minimum size for the pond? Which species for a beginner? What do they eat? What else do I need to know?

Old 20-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
touie
Hatched

I would see if Lloyd has any RES that need rehoming as they seem to be quite hardy!
Old 21-09-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
Lloyd
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to Lloyd

Sorry touie im not with it at the mo you are indeed right my cooters come in over the winter. and yes i have two adult red ears and some yellow bellies that would be happy in a pond ( well they already are but need a new home)

Lloyd
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
newforestmum
Hatchling

sorru guys but as you can see my new pond has not even started yet so definately not ready for any turtles yet. plus I think I need to do some more research first as I know nothing about caring for turtles. but I will keep you all posted on my progress