Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 20-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #21
idit85
Egg

I just spent ~1/2 an hour adding pictures and writing a post and the it did not take! This is really anoying...

I'll try again:

Dan,
Here are pics of my box and the covered kids table that extends from it. The box is a bit off the ground and has tiles in it. under the tiles there are drain holes just in case some water managed to get into the box. The wall at the far right (facing north/west) ptotects the whole contraption from wind and rain. Otherwise rain and wind would penetrate . I took a picture how it looks inside there as well. You can see my turtles coming out of the box into the "table-tunnel" that leads out to the porch. Please let me know if this shelter is adequate. They seem to like it...

Other plans for a shelter that's EASY to built, are welcome, if you think that what i have is not good.
Thanks

idit85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #22
idit85
Egg

I see that I sent a picture of one of my summer shelters instead of sending a picture of the view inside the winter shelter that I meant to send. So here it is: a view inside.

BTW, someone painted one of the turtles. I would not do it. But he loks cute like that.

idit85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 01:36 PM   #23
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Idit it's not to bad , just a few changes would make it much better . A larger plastic tote would be great. Taller is what I'm after but larger size wise is good too. Cut the hole about 4 inches up on the new tote. You'll have to make a ramp under the table for them to get in. I want it taller so you can add some dirt or mulch to the tote. That way they can dig down in it and it's more insulated for them.
The only other thing is the painted tortoise. You need to get the paint off that tortoise. The paint is not doing his/her shell any good and will effects it's health in the long term. You can take a soft cloth with acetone and do one small spot a day till it's gone. Don't rub to hard and take your time. As long as it's starting to come off. As the acetone evaporates it cools what ever your rubbing it on quickly, so don't do it for more then 10 to 15 mins a day.
If you have any more questions just ask

Dan